Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bird-in-the-bush
    • Feb 26 2017

New to me '60 Thunderbird

So I just drove my 1960 thunderbird home from Tulsa ok to Nebraska. I was blown away at how good it ran. I'm newly in love with a Ford, being a Mopar guy in the past. However, the heater didn't work so good. Am I to understand that the car does not have a heater core? How does this system work? Any info, greatly appreciated. Also, how do i attach pics? Thank you
    A Family that Hot Rods together, stays together...
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

There is a heater core in the plenum chamber, you can see the heater hoses going to the firewall in the engine compartment. There is a thermostatic valve which controls the flow of coolant going to the heater core.
    You can only attach pics when you are a paying member. You can use a foto charing site like photobucket.com and post the link on here.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Frank mentioned make sure the two heater hoses are connected to the core at the passenger side firewall. Many times when the core leaks the hoses are looped to bypass it.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Bird-in-the-bush
        So I just drove my 1960 thunderbird home from Tulsa ok to Nebraska. I was blown away at how good it ran. I'm newly in love with a Ford, being a Mopar guy in the past. However, the heater didn't work so good. Am I to understand that the car does not have a heater core? How does this system work? Any info, greatly appreciated. Also, how do i attach pics? Thank you
        Check the thermostat too, T-Birds are prone to running hot, so I've heard of people removing the thermostat thus not creating enough heat to run the heater with hot air coming out. also it's pretty simple to remove the controls and check the cables, they might be out of adjustment. Simple things first. When you have the car running, move the controls and you should hear it switching between heat and defrost, the blower runs like s**t on low so run it on high, but when it works its a cooker!
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Here's how it works for a car with A/C.

The Non A/C car would not have the evaporator on the outer firewall behind the engine and would not have the flap or "valve" in the picture that is controlled by the left knob. The air from the fan would go directly to the heater core.

Here's the heater plenum that is under the dash and contains the heater core. It has small openings molded along the seam to direct air to the passenger and driver area. The two round holes in the bottom portion of the picture is where the defrost ducts connect (the plenum is separated into two parts in this pic)

And here is the core from the engine compartment with the fan box removed. Air is drawn from the circular hole via the squirrel cage fan, directed across the heater core in the square hole and on into the heater plenum under the dash.You can also see where the water connections are located.

And a car with the A/C plenum installed on the firewall next to the fan box.

Eric
          Last edited by DKheld; March 3, 2017, 10:26 AM. Reason: pics were OK after all - Thanks Ray

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎