X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by sidewalkman
    Lol. You people had your own brand of cars down under, personally, and I've owned a ton of Ford, non of those names sound even a little bit familiar!!! We had Falcons, never knew there was a GT, just the Sprint!
    No doubt , they got a lot of cool V8 sedans we never got. Like this thing..........

Specs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Ford Falcon GT 5-speed (EB) in 1992 the model with 4-door sedan body and V-8 4942 cm3 / 301.6 cui, 200 kW / 272 PS / 268 hp (DIN) of power, 420 Nm / 310 lb-ft of torque, 5-speed manual powertrain offered since April 1992 for Australia . Specifications listing with the performance factory data and ProfessCars™ estimation, including acceleration times 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, 0-100 km/h, 0-200 km/h, quarter mile time, top speed, mileage and fuel economy, power-to-weight ratio, dimensions, drag coefficient, etc.
    59-430-HT

Comment

• Yellowbird
      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Is it a Meteor with a flathead?
      sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Is it an early Starliner also with a flathead?
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• KENN
          Experienced
          • Aug 6 2015

1955 Meteor, 292 Y Block Star Model.. Kenn
          WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by KENN
            1955 Meteor, 292 Y Block Star Model.. Kenn
            My thoughts exactly
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

OMG, all you poor North Americans...
              Where's the steering wheel?
              This is a 1958 Ford (which to me looks like the '59). Notice that the engine is a 272 Y-Block and you get two choices in trans. It's either a column 3-speed manual or a 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.
              The body is a Fordor (same as the station wagon) and it is a sedan.

Now you know what happened to all the dies for just about everything except the firewall and dashboard, after Dearborn was done with our 1956 model. The Y-Block went too, straight over to Australia AND South America, where it was used forever...
              Attached Files
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dave I was close,as I had a star in my naming of this car Starliner, I have never seen and probably never will
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• KENN
                  Experienced
                  • Aug 6 2015

http://www.customlineclub.org.au/htm...s___stars.html THE TURN SIGNALS AND GRILL ETC. ARE 55 FORD . THEY MUST HAVE USED OUR OLD DIES?
                  WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

• Penelope
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    OMG, all you poor North Americans...
                    Where's the steering wheel?

Dave, that car is over here in Western Australia and I confess I saw it at a car show a while ago but never paid it the attention it deserved. I will be on the look out for it now, and if I can get some insight into it, I will post about it.
                    Last edited by simplyconnected; January 31, 2017, 09:11 PM.
                    sigpicBill
                    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Yes Bill, Jeff Toll took these pictures in Perth and posted them. He gives that credit in his comments at the bottom:

I was looking for a typical example of an Aussie Ford but I didn't want to scare our members off by showing a UTE. (We don't understand the Ford UTE.) - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by KENN
                        http://www.customlineclub.org.au/htm...s___stars.html THE TURN SIGNALS AND GRILL ETC. ARE 55 FORD . THEY MUST HAVE USED OUR OLD DIES?
                        You would be surprised with similar but genuine parts that show up around the world. Not all tooling is thrown away at the end of a production run. I have seen times when service parts were in high demand. If Ford still has the dies in a bone yard, they refurbish them for a short, non-automated run. Service parts pay handsomely.

The write-up is pretty good but it shows the Aussies weren't clear on the American Fords. Not a mention of my 1959 Galaxie, probably because it wasn't available over there (and '59 was the first year for Galaxie).

Producing cars from the same dies for four years is a HUGE money saver for Ford. It cheaply brings full-size Ford cars to places that would otherwise use smaller models. Stateside, it calls the dogs off of production pressures to supply the world with the current model.

So, production numbers are misleading. Ford produced 67,456 1959 Ford cars in the USA. TOTAL production would include Australian numbers but they were a different body style, much like my '55 Customline. My point is, Ford simultaneously produced two different models instead of putting total demands on N. American assembly plants. Smart move and a money saver both ways.

Engine production follows the same history. T-birds started out with Y-Blocks but quickly switched to FEs in '58. Meanwhile in Australia, they made their own engines with Y-Block tooling sent from North America. Brilliant. South America designed and built heads for their Y-Blocks that resemble SBF heads, where the center ports were not back-to-back exhaust. THAT was an innovation Ford embraced for the FE and all subsequent engines. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎