• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pabob1960
    Apprentice
    • Apr 11 2004

rear quarter windows

What is the trick to adjustment of the rear quarter windows
    I have the manual, and played around for a couple of hours.

Would like to hear other peoples imput.

PaBob
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: rear quarter windows

I don't want to speak for a fellow squarebirder, but I have the following tips from the master of quarter window adjustment, Ken Harkema:

"Having the experience of restoring these cars for the past 30+ years I can understand the frustrations of adjusting the rear quarter windows. I have spent countless hours in this endeavor.

But before I offer some advice I would suggest that even new cars that
    rolled off the assembly line had problems with this alignment between the side window and quarter window. I have owned in the area of 100 Thunderbirds and some of these cars were very low mileage cars that never had the rear seats or quarter panels removed. And these cars had miss-alignment of the windows. Keep in mind that the technicians that did this adjustment were very good at their jobs when you consider that up to 500 cars a day were being produced. They would have known all the tricks to making these adjustments. If they could not get the alignment to look good the chances that you can improve them are very slim.

Before making any adjustments make sure that all components are in good condition and everything is lubricated. The window rollers typically need to be cleaned and re-greased. Check for damage to the rails and rollers. The adjustment that controls the angle at which the quarter window meets the side window is the horizontal rail. The rail is about 6 inches long and is secured the inner shell buy two nuts which incorporate a star washer to lock the nut in place. The studs of the rail can be adjusted up or down in elongated slots in the inner panel. Before you loosen these nuts notice the position so you can return to that adjustment. Lower the quarter window about an inch from the highest position and loosen the nuts. Raise or lower each end of the rail so you can see what effect changing this adjustment will have on the angle of the quarter window. With luck you can improve on the alignment using a trial and error method of adjusting the rail.

You may also have to raise or lower the front guide channel to improve the fit. But if this adjustment has not been disturbed I would hesitate to adjust it. The quarter window frame has a nylon roller that runs in this channel. The metal channel curves toward the front of the car when the roller approaches the uppermost position. Changing the position of this rail will effect the fit of the window and at extremes will either not allow the quarter window to raise all the way or allow the quarter window to hit the rubber above the window and not allow the window to cam forward. I remember one car I had that had the outer quarter panel replaced from the door jam to the cast trim at the rear. The person that did the work welded the panel to far inward causing the quarter window to bind. I spent 25 hours on one quarter window to get it to work again buy modifying welds and hand filing
    the adjustment holes with a rat tail file.

Make sure that the upper stop is being contacted by the quarter window when the window is in the uppermost position. I seen many cars where the quarter window will cam past the upper stop. You may have to install small washers between the inner panel and the stop to control the upper travel of the quarter window.

One other thing to consider is the position of the vent window assembly and the condition of the side glass channels. The front-to-rear placement of the vent window assembly can have a direct effect of this adjustment because the vent window incorporates the channel that the side window slides in. Moving the side window either to the front or rear will have an effect on the alignment between the quarter and side windows. Also, if the fuzzy material in the side window channels is worn or gone is will allow the side window to
    move toward the front or rear again effecting the alignment.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Ken Harkema"

THANKS KEN!!
    Casey

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
      Experienced
      • Mar 31 2004

RE: rear quarter windows

I will be writing an article for the VTCi scoop dealing with this problem. We spent much more time adjusting the rear quarters than I care to think..

The fix requires redesigning the rollers with brass bushings. But now my rear wquarters work all the time. Basically the rollers allow enough slop in the window movement so that the up and down movement never returns to the same spot every time. A big proble.

Fuz
      58's&64's

Comment

Hey PaBob,
        See if this helps any! Also you must realize the guides that run down in the fender are at least two feet long. A small adjustment at the bottom means a whole lot at the top. Move a little at a time. Look at the window and study what needs to be done to correct the problem. Example: Top of glass needs to come in, to correct, bottom of glass runner needs to go out. Top of glass needs to shift front to back, move top adjustments. Adjust and check, adjust and check! It may take several adjustments of all adjustment areas to get it correct.
        I went through the same thing when I changed Christine's driver side door glass out. The wind glass and drivers glass guide was removed, cleaned and lubricated. Thus it all had to be readjusted, when it was put back together. It was very time consuming, but I got it fixed like I wanted it!!!
        Richard D. Hord
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; October 2, 2009, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Guys thanks for your posts to this situation and we should all print and keep in our repair file. Sooner or later we will all have to do some adjustments on these old girls. Fuz look forward to seeing your article in the Scoop.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍