X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacob80
    • Jun 10 2015

1959 Squarebird - Dual Master Cylinder Conversion Question

Hello!

I am using the SBC Disk Brake Conversion Kit. Everything is going well, but I am about to install the new dual master cylinder to replace the single.

In the kit, I have:

1 - Dual Master Cylinder
    1 - Brake Line
    1 - Proportioning Valve

As I understand, the system will go from this...

To this...

Let me know what you guys think. Here are a couple other images....

Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; August 23, 2015, 09:44 PM.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jacob, your pix are way to big for this Forum. Requirements for pix size is no greater than 800x600pixels. When you were welcomed to this Forum, the picture requirements were specified in the Welcome that was posted to you in the New Members Welcoming Forum. I am going to try and downsize and replace your pix. In the future, please keep all pix posted at 800x600pixel or smaller as required. I will let others answer your questions.

I was not able to put those proportioning valve pix where you had them at. So if you want to fix that the way you had it, got into your photo hosting website, and change those pix that were greater than 800x600pixels to this setting and put them back where you had them...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Looking at your diagrams, it shows that the proportioning valve is only being used for the rear brakes. My proportioning valve is connected to both ports of the master cylinder, and then the front and rear brakes are connected to the proportioning valve. Not sure what is going on here.
      Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here are a couple of pix to look at. The first one of them is of a Ford combination/proportional valve setup. The second one is of a GM style setup. Hopefully, this will help.
        Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jacob80
          • Jun 10 2015

Originally posted by YellowRose
          Here are a couple of pix to look at. The first one of them is of a Ford combination/proportional valve setup. The second one is of a GM style setup. Hopefully, this will help.
          I notice there are two input from the master cylinder - the one on our car (1959) only has one output.

If there are two inputs on the distribution block as shown, then theoretically I can pick up another line to run from the master cylinder to the block, correct? Then put the proportioning valve on the line between the distribution block and the rear brakes?

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I sent you a PM regarding your setup. You need a booster.

The two output lines from your M/C go directly to the two top input lines on top of (either) combination valve. You do NOT need a distribution block because all the ports are on the combination valve.

Look at the pictures of the two types of valves. They are facing opposite directions. Pay attention to the ports for the front calipers and one port that feeds your rear brake line. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

There are different ways to skin this cat, unfortunately I am set in my ways. I like to see a single-piston caliper hung from the rear side, so the sway bar cannot interfere. Single piston calipers are used on most modern cars and they have fewer parts to go wrong. Your caliper reminds me of a Wilwood. The calipers most of us use fits an S-10 Blazer.

Summit sold you a SSBC system that does not fit your Squarebird. There is no way to attach the M/C they provided because there is no booster, firewall bracket or brake pedal rod. Your M/C would work if you had the firewall components.

We have been here many times. Vendors claim to have a system that works when in fact, it doesn't. There was one company that sold a kit on eBay for the Squarebird, including the brake pedal rod, booster and firewall bracket. I don't see them any more.

What do you do? A few of our members fabricated their own firewall bracket from 1/8" steel, threaded rod and some purchased hardware. The 8" two-stage booster can be purchased from MBM. Plans for the firewall bracket and brake pedal rod are in the 'Members Only' forum, reserved for paid members only. This might be a good opportunity for you to become a paid member by clicking on the above button, "Donate To Site". Membership also includes many other benefits including, posting your pictures directly on our site. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎