X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coral
    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by vernz
    Great. My folks get the Oakland press. If I'm gone when it comes out, they will have it. The last car at Wixom was a Lincoln and the article that accompanied the picture stated it was going to an individual in Washington DC. I don't know if Milford will have any material on the Ford Wixom plant...but never say never. Today I'll be seeing my cousin who prepares exhibits at the Detroit Historical Museum. She may have access to some material that could help us.

Vern
    It's just a thought Vern, because of the Pettibone Power Station.... Fords carburetor plant - however your cousin is certainly in a Great building!

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

Another final production run Squarebird: After replying to this thread erroneouslly concerning our 60 HT as dated 13v. It now turns out I misread the date code as v instead of w. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I took a rubbing of the data plate and it CLEARLY says 13W. Boy am I sorry for the error but elated at the history. The vin is 0Y71Y192652.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LuckyJay; July 19, 2011, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Last squarebird??

The Oakland Press has published the story of Greg Prince's "9/13 Last Day Last Car" 1960 Thunderbird. Now we will see if anyone still alive, who worked the line back then, reads it and responds.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

While this is fantastic, I was kinda disappointed in the article as it was written, its whats referred to as a 'dry read' .......kinda like "just the facts ma'm"

It would be WAY kewl to have someone claim that writing....

Comment

Good read. Just the facts ma'm. Gota love it. Tell that guy it's bucket not can. My Father did that 40 years ago. I'd be getin him outa jail these days with the way cars run now.

Comment

• Coral
              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by tbirds8
              Good read. Just the facts ma'm. Gota love it. Tell that guy it's bucket not can. My Father did that 40 years ago. I'd be getin him outa jail these days with the way cars run now.

Comment

• trim code 76
                Experienced
                • Aug 3 2006

Ok, we have casted out our bait, lets see if we get a nibble!! Big thanks to all (Ray!) for helping out with this. If nothing more comes out of this I feel pretty sure the car was the last one now, but to be correct a little (?) needs to be included! Thanks to all who have contributed on this! I think we have all learned an a lot (including the stainless birds). I just checked on the bird and she will be recieving her enamel paint next week. LOOKING VERY GOOD! Will post the pics (to Ray) when she is done
                Greg
                Ray, busy week this week, will try and call next!

Comment

• trim code 76
                  Experienced
                  • Aug 3 2006

Last squarebird??

Just a quick update. I did more checking for the ROT sheets today when I went to visit the car. NO LUCK! I have run out of places to look. I did find a rather neat treasure; wired to the top of the center bracket for the grill assemebly was a ring and a set of original keys to the car! The ends were taped together with old cloth tape. They are pretty tarnished so they have been there for a very long time. The car is being painted this week, went up to ok the color. I have sent Ray some pics of the car. Maybe he will post them. I will send pics when the paint job is done. The painter stated that painting old single stage metalic paint is a real challenge. Guess the old guys were pretty good not having to rely on clear coats and all.

#137 shows another assembly line mark, #142 - 145 show the area up inside the front fender in front of the wheel well (just behind the front bumper) NO RUST!!! The semi gloss black object this the back of the headlight bucket

Greg
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; May 12, 2009, 11:55 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Comment

• GTE427
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
                    Both T-Birds received mechanical and interior restorations in the 1980s and survive to this day, with one on permanent display at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA.
                    I'm in Pittsburgh this weekend visiting family and planned a stop at the Heinz History Center, I looked at their website and found a 'Stainless Steel Car' link for a video, didn't play for me. Then called their main phone number, the person claimed they do not nor never had a Stainless TBird. Either he is un-informed or the car isn't there. Anyone have anymore info on the where-abouts of this TBird? Any help would be appreciated.
                    Ken
                    1959 J Convertible
                    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Last Squarebird

Without digging deeply into this threads 11 pages, to find out what I said, this web page of Allegheny Ludlum says one of the 1936 staineless steel cars is at Heinz, not a Tbird. I might have made a mistake in reporting or picked up an incorrect reference. It says that Allegheny Ludlum says they have both Tbirds still. My apologies, if I got it wrong.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• GTE427
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 9 2007

I may have my answer. The Crawford Museum in Ohio list the Stainless TBird they have on display is on loan from the Heinz Center.

Where are the two cars loctaed. I thought one was in Pittsburgh and the other in Cleveland, is this the same car? What about the second one? Sorry for not searching this site on my own, trying to spend time with the family and not too much time on-line.
                        Ken
                        1959 J Convertible
                        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 9 2007

Thanks Ray, I'll check back later to see if there is more info.
                          Ken
                          1959 J Convertible
                          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Last Squarebird

Hi Ken,

I think the other one is in Detroit at one of the museums there. At least William Wonder says it was. These two Tbirds were moved around a lot in their earlier years. They could have been moved again. He said they were based in Pittsburg and Detroit. We know that one of them is/was at the Crawford Museum, last I heard.

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by GTE427
                              I may have my answer. The Crawford Museum in Ohio list the Stainless TBird they have on display is on loan from the Heinz Center.

Where are the two cars loctaed. I thought one was in Pittsburgh and the other in Cleveland, is this the same car? What about the second one? Sorry for not searching this site on my own, trying to spend time with the family and not too much time on-line.
                              No need to apologize Ken, we can indeed find handy links for a quick looky-lou - BUT if yer kids / family members are wanting / trying to be more apart of yer life, or you are wanting to share this experience with them you might very well include them on this search!
                              However, that being said, if everyone else thinks cars are JUST machines...best let sleeping dogs lie...and do yer surfing on the sly...

I will find those Birds locales for you.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎