• Show
Clear All
  • deviot
    Apprentice
    • Aug 1 2013

Freeze plug replacement

Hi,
    Hi all,

I have a leaking freeze plug. As usual is the worst one, behind the engine mount.

I'm thinking my first attempt will be to move the engine forward, as it looks like if in undo everything it could move about 4".

Failing this I will take the engine out. Should I leave the bell housing attached and lift it out wth the engine?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
    sigpicHello from Australia
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Dave,

It is possible to do all the freeze plugs with the engine in the car. I had to remove the engine mounts and jack the engine up using a block under the oil pan as well as having the front tires removed and the car up on jack stands. Also had to remove the starter to get to the back one on that side.

It was not easy and I could not have done it without a freeze plug tool similar to this one but at least it is possible.

You are going to have such fun - might want to be sure the neighbors are not home - bad words will slip out.

Good luck....

Eric

Edit ...

On the engine removal (another problem) I just removed the engine and not the transmission. Bell housing will not separate from the transmission unless you have a different type than I do (perhaps a standard or straight drive tranny?)

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by deviot
      ...I have a leaking freeze plug. As usual is the worst one, behind the engine mount.
      If one of your core plugs is bad, others are not far behind. Core plugs are inexpensive. Replace ALL of them with brass (commonly found in marine engines).

I've never used anything more than a hammer and a large flat-blade screwdriver to remove core plugs.

Keep the casting hole clean and free of scratches. Always use the core plug's inside recess to pound on so you don't mar the mating surface. For installation, I use s large socket and a hammer. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

X2 on the large socket Dave.

In this case there isn't much swinging room in the engine compartment with the engine installed so the long arm of the install tool gave you a place where you could whack away. Had to turn the wheels to clear the rotors and steering mechanism - back and forth - just find the sweet spot. Took a couple of evenings to - jack up the engine - remove the mounts, starter etc - remove the old plugs - clean the bores - then re-install the new plugs, mounts and set the engine back down.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎