X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Front vent windows, door upper edge seal

I put the rear quarter window in last night and it fits nicely against my new reproduction door seal. The profile of the seal has a wider area on the outside that seals against the outside of the window frame as it moves upwards in its track. See the first photo.

According to the Installation Manual this seal gets glued in at the inside edge of the stainless steel retainer and then folded in on the outside edge.

Tonight I'm putting in the front vent window and it seals a lot differently. See the second photo. The entire cast frame is mounted solidly in the door so it compresses the seal by pushing against the side. To me it looks like the profile is wrong. I'm afraid this will push the seal away from outer edge of the retainer. I'm thinking I may have to trim the wide part of the seal away.

Is there something wrong with my new seal? Is the profile supposed to be different between the front and the back?
    Attached Files
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

My apologies to the forum. I realize these pictures are large but I don't think I'd get the point across with smaller ones.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Front vent windows, door upper edge seal

Steve, those pix are within the limits and are not to large. If they are greater than 800pixels wide they will cause one to have to scroll back and forth to see all the text. These are fine.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

OK here's another view with the vent window adjusted and the door fully closed. The large window behind it slides up in the steel channel and the top front corner seals against the rubber cup at the top of the vent window. The top edge of the sliding window seals in the horizontal rubber seal. The outer (thicker) part of the seal will be against the outside frame of the window, and the seal forms a channel.

The vertical and horizontal channels are lined up. The problem is that the thicker part of the seal is now in the way at the transition between the vertical channel and the top horizontal channel.

It seems to me that I need to cut the thicker part of the seal and remove it to make this work.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎