X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jackbird60
    Thanks Ray For The Post And The Pictures.

Hey Everyone Very Excited On The Buy. Got This Car At A Real Good Price. We'll Get It Next Saturday, The 13th. I Been In The Hobby For Sometime, So I Know Things Won't Be Perfect, Especially For The Price.

Back To The Birds For Me!!! Style, Ride, And Power!

Jack
    Very cool car, I think that is a very nice color. Is the top matching to the interior?

How hard is "Hard Starting" my 65 takes a bit of cranking when it has sat for a month or more, seems like it takes that long to pump the fuel up then she fires and seem fine.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

When I see this car, I automatically smile. How cool is a convertible, especially in a beautiful classic Thunderbird. Congratulations on a great find.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jackbird60
        Experienced
        • Nov 28 2008

Hard Starting. It Took This Guy 6 To 8 Tries Than I Believe He Sprayed Ether Down The Carb And It Started Right Up, And Then Idled Fine. Never Died Out Or Hestitate When I Drove It.

He Told Me He Has Only Drven The Car About 20 Miles A Year Since He Owned It , Which Is 5 Years. His Dad Owned It For 25 Years, Etc, And Gave It To Him, . He Is Not A Collector Of Classic Cars, But Didn't Want To Turn Around And Sell It, But Now He Bought This New Pickup Truck, And He Wants The Garage Back. So The Story Goes.

By The Way What The Mpg On These Cars??? I Had A 60 Tbird And Used To Get About 11 In The City And 16 On The Hyw. Just Interested In Knowning.

Thanks
        Jack

Comment

• jackbird60
          Experienced
          • Nov 28 2008

Sorry, I Forgot To Answer A Question. The Top Is A Light Tan Or Beige So It Closely Matches The Body, And The Interior.

Jack

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jack she looks like a great car and of course the price and delivery charge are beneficial, to the repair charges.Keep the pictures coming once you take possesion.

Ray: Glad to see your avatar has gone back to normal.
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jackbird60
              ...I Believe He Sprayed Ether Down The Carb And It Started Right Up, And Then Idled Fine... What The Mpg On These Cars???...
              Jack, carbureted cars have fixed settings which run beautifully on some days and like crap on other days.

Fuel injection in the same engine, offers more hp and much better efficiency. Acceleration & efficiency factors are tallied by hp:weight, but as stated, that varies due to temp, humidity, elevations. We're always striving for 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio, in Detroit and in Denver. But running too lean on any day, can cause catastrophic consequences.

If someone shoots you a fuel efficiency number, know that carbureted cars vary widely.

Edit: Your hard starting is due to starved fuel.
              Try this; after sitting a long time and before starting, put a few teaspoons of gas into the carb. If it starts right up, you know:
              * The carburetor's accelerator pump doesn't work. (A visual check can determine this)
              * The carb is leaking gas out of the bowl and you are trying to start it 'dry',
              * The fuel pump is draining fuel back to the tank.

I assume your gas is fresh. Old or contaminated gas is VERY hard to start (and your exhaust usually smells real bad). New gasoline is hydroscopic, which means it sucks up water faster than Scotch. Old gas does two things, all the good stuff that burns evaporates off leaving varnish, and it's saturated with water which promotes gas tank and steel fuel line rust.

DOT-3 brake fluid is hydroscopic too, so if your brake fluid has ANY color, change it ASAP. - Dave
              Last edited by simplyconnected; February 7, 2010, 05:47 PM.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jackbird60
                Experienced
                • Nov 28 2008

just a couple of more photos in photobucket on my 66.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/jackbird60/bird66/?action=view&current=BEIGETBIRD665.jpg

Jack

Comment

• jackbird60
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 28 2008

HEY DAVE!

THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT TIPS. THAT'S A GREAT WAY TO TROUBLESHOOT AND ELIMINATE PROBLEMS, ESPECIALLY HARD STARTING PROBLEMS.

MY GUESS IS THE GAS COULD BE A BIT STALE, AND IT MORE THAN POSSILBE ABOUT THE ACCERATOR PUMP. ALSO COULD BE SOME RUST OR JUNK IN THE GAS TANK, BUT WORK FROM LEAST TO MOST, AND ALSO, RUN THE CAR, AND REPLENISH THE GAS AS MUCH AS POSSILBE IN CASE GAS IS BAD. COULD BE THE CARB IS BADLY VARNISHED.

I HAD A SNOW BLOWER THAT JUST WOULDN'T START AFTER NONE USE FROM 3 YEARS. I WENT THRU THE BOWL, AND BACK FLUSH IT WITH A STEADY PRESSURE OF GUMOUT. THAT DID THE TRICK

i'LL CHECK FOR VACUUM LEAKS AS WELL. CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT AND START GETTING IT UP TO PAR.

THANKS A LOT,

JACK

Comment

• rockyroch
                    • May 6 2010

Hi, not sure if i'm in the rite place having never been on a forum b4. Did you buy the 66' ? I have a 66 town landau with the z 390/315 and c6 with 3:00-1.The Thermactor emmision set up is falling apart... was thinking of removing it all, plug the air holes and put on a edelbrock intake and 600 elec choke carb and air cleaner.. see if I can find the fittings for just the pcv set up some of them had..was wondering how the edelbrock was working for you in yours ?? thanks.../roc

Comment

• jackbird60
                      Experienced
                      • Nov 28 2008

Sorry For The Very Late Reply. Never Did Buy The Carb. Just Rebuilt The Top, Cleaned It Out. Rebuilt Both Pumper On The 4100. Running Fine Now!

Jack

Just Bought A Squarebird Though, And I Love It. The 66 Is The Better Driving And Smoother Etc But I Like The Squarebird Better. Just My Preference.

Jack

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by rockyroch
                        Hi, not sure if i'm in the rite place having never been on a forum b4. Did you buy the 66' ? I have a 66 town landau with the z 390/315 and c6 with 3:00-1.The Thermactor emmision set up is falling apart... was thinking of removing it all, plug the air holes and put on a edelbrock intake and 600 elec choke carb and air cleaner.. see if I can find the fittings for just the pcv set up some of them had..was wondering how the edelbrock was working for you in yours ?? thanks.../roc

My son is running a 1406 on his 65 on the factory manifold. Seems to run pretty good. We just bolted it on and ran it, didn't change any jets, etc.

We switched over to the 1406 when his autolight seemed to having issues.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎