Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manaboy
    • May 3 2018

Exhaust Manifold

I recently acquired a 59 convertible. 430 MEL. Discovered that the carb needs rebuilding. But before I continue on, I noticed leaks in the exhaust flange, both driver and passenger. I was able to remove the nuts quite easily from the passenger but broke a stud on the drivers side. Is it possible to drill it out from under the vehicle. has anyone tried ? If the Exhaust manifold has to be removed, How do you get to the last three bolts below the Exhaust manifold ? Right now the Exhaust manifold doesn't leak. Any Ideas will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Manaboy; June 15, 2018, 07:04 AM.
  • sidewalkman
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Manaboy
    I recently acquired a 59 convertible. 430 MEL. Discovered that the carb needs rebuilding. But before I continue on, I noticed leaks in the exhaust flange, both driver and passenger. I was able to remove the nuts quite easily from the passenger but broke a stud on the drivers side. Is it possible to drill it out from under the vehicle. has anyone tried ? If the Exhaust manifold has to be removed, How do you get to the last three bolts below the Exhaust manifold ? Right now the Exhaust manifold doesn't leak. Any Ideas will be appreciated.
    I tried everything to get at my manifolds with the heads on the car to no avail. There is a know design flaw with the top bolts, the way they pass through makes them seize. I broke off 2 when I was doing mine. Ended up removing the whole top of the motor, heads' intake, everything. It's not that hard of a job, took a couple of hours to remove, another couple to replace.
    Scott
    South Delta, BC, Canada
    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
    Red Leather Interior!
    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
    Thunderbird Registry #61266
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Manaboy
      • May 3 2018

Thanks for the reply Scott ! I will admit, misery loves company. I decided to do a workaround. Since my exhaust manifolds do not leak, and just the driver side exhaust flange bolt missing, I'm in the process of making a clamp. Similar to a "Studfix". It just happens to be the stud where there are "ears" to clamp down on. If that doesn't work, I'll follow your protocol.
      As soon as I make one, I'll attach a pic.

PS- I am very grateful to be a member Squarebirds.org !
      Last edited by Manaboy; June 16, 2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Manaboy
        • May 3 2018

Made the bracket but after some thought, I found an old electric drill small enough to fit . Also cut some drill bits and was able to re-tap the hole.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎