No announcement yet.

Power Window Relay

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Window Relay

So I was poking around the motor today and tapped on a wire which in turn made what seems to be the power window relay (CIAF-14677-A) found on mid firewall towards the top. When I moved the wire (ignition OFF) the blower fan would come on and the oil and gen lights came on, if I took key out of ignition they stayed on as well as the fan (on a low speed). The car would start fine then the oil/gen lights went out. I could move the wire around and make the mentioned items go off. As I said when I hit them the clicking was coming from the relay. The connectors to it are kinda loose.

sorry trying to size down a pic so it can be seen.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; May 8, 2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

In link above you have that main white wire that runs up and to the left and appears to go to the solenoid mounted on the passenger side near radiator.
        There are TWO black wires connected to that white wire One black wire going into harness that the two red wires are going into right above where the relay bolt holes are at in the picture.
        The red wire on the left has a spade I think it is called that slides on the male spade on the relay (the only one, ones online have two male spades on relay) The other red wire and black wire with the open ends go together on the relay fastened with a slide on connector with a screw to hold it on.
        Looks to me the white wire to the two black (grounds?) is not factory. Is the white supplying power to the relay?
        If this is a window relay how is the gen/oil dummy lights and blower fan stay lite on key in or out of ignition when this switch is seemingly malfunctioning?

Comment

Where the black and white wires come together it looks to me one of the black wires had a female spade, you can see the metal a little. I wonder it that went on the missing second spade that is not on my relay.

Comment

here is a pic with it all attached before I took it apart. Sorry, have to click on link to open new window.

Got the white, the big ball where the two black wires are joined together, one black wire going into harness that goes in firewall above the relay, the other black going with the bigger red wire to the screw connection on relay and the smaller wire from same harness mentioned above going to the only spade on the relay. I don't understand the extra black wire.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you have power seats you should have two wires on the center post as per the bottom diagram. Otherwise you should only have one.

John
              Attached Files
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks for the pic. That was NOT in the factory service manual the PO gave to me with the car. I do have power windows.
                Some of the wires make sense, not sure what the larger white wire is that I have is about based on this lower second pic.

Comment

I have my relay out, the inside parts must be busted up. If I shake it a little it sounds like a can of rocks.

Comment

I think I have 194 red wire. I have the two that go into the middle connector. I think I have 938 black wire (in my pic you can barely see a spade where they put the black wires to the white one coming for solenoid). 14303 wire not sure on that one, that spade is gone on that side of relay.
                    14678 not sure on that one.
                    I wonder if the wire from solenoid is not orig? Not really shown here. Maybe it was added by someone, a power wire?

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by blue62tbird
                      Thanks for the pic. That was NOT in the factory service manual the PO gave to me with the car. I do have power windows.
                      When you first posted I told you where you could download ALL the manuals for your '62 for free. Not just the service manual. The picture I posted is from the electrical manual. In addition all the wiring diagrams are in the Technical Resource Library. Here's where you can get the manuals.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

looking at the wiring stuff now. It is rather GREEK to me. I will study it but would LOVE a pic from another car of the area I am dealing with. That is the type of learner I am.

Comment

there are a few weekly cruise ins ganna look at the tbird with power windows and see what they have, take some pics. Someone has fiddled with how this thing is wired.
                          Last edited by YellowRose; May 9, 2018, 09:13 AM. Reason: Wording change

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Power Window Relay

Thanks to John ~ jopizz, I have put those links to the FREE manuals for the 1962-1963 Bulletbird in the Technical Resource Library. All but the 1962 Convertible Top Manual can be found in the BOOKS section of the TRL, down towards the bottom. The Convertible Top Manual can be found in the Convertible Top Repair & Troubleshooting section of the TRL. Thanks, John, as once again, you are a master at providing so much excellent advice, assistance and information to the membership of this Forum!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

I have a conv top manual at home also, again not loaded with detailed info.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎