Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derbird
    • Jul 10 2016

Exhaust

Looking for exhaust ideas, specifically tips. What have you done? Pictures would be helpful.
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Kyle, have a look at Our Rides. You might like mine, about 8 lines down. BIRD 60, although the plates have been changed to ELVIS P.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kyle are the exhaust tips for show ( chrome ) or to achieve a specific sound? I put Mustang tips on my 60 to achieve a " throaty " sound which i preferred. My wife's 58 have chrome tips towards the ground and are whisper quiet
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Derbird
        • Jul 10 2016

Looking more for show than sound. I really like the look of lake pipes, but don’t want to worry about tearing them off. I was also thinking about turnouts in front of the rear wheels, but there is not much room in front of the rear axel for a muffler.
        I have thought of a mini lake pipe (probably a different name for this) behind the rear tires.
        Just trying to get an idea on how different tips look.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

There are a wide variety of " side pipes " currently on fleabay for choosing. Good luck
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• StealthSRT10
            Experienced
            • Jun 7 2017

I did mine like that first. Exit before tire. Looked good sounded good. Only issue i had and it might not be one for you but i had to flip my rear shackels so that the pipes didnt hit ground when turning. I also have new leaf springs and leaf spring helpers. So count on at least 3 inches of body roll. Never touched ground once since i flipped the shackles and still sits low in my opinion.
            To each his own. I love throwing some 4 inch echo chamber tips on anything though. Oh and it was true dual straight pipe with a comp cams 265DEH.

Originally posted by Derbird
            Looking more for show than sound. I really like the look of lake pipes, but don’t want to worry about tearing them off. I was also thinking about turnouts in front of the rear wheels, but there is not much room in front of the rear axel for a muffler.
            I have thought of a mini lake pipe (probably a different name for this) behind the rear tires.
            Just trying to get an idea on how different tips look.
            1959 Thunderbird 397ci
            Cruise-O-Matic
            Flamingo Pink.
            Thunderbird Registry #8442
            Daily driver

Comment

• StealthSRT10
              Experienced
              • Jun 7 2017

My 1959 ford thunderbird with dual 2.25 inch pipe no mufflers.Fe 352 with stock manifoldscheck out my video after cam installCheck out my instagram to see al...

Link to video of exhaust before the cam but still side exit.
              1959 Thunderbird 397ci
              Cruise-O-Matic
              Flamingo Pink.
              Daily driver

Comment

• StealthSRT10
                Experienced
                • Jun 7 2017

My 1959 Ford Thunderbird. Installed the Comp cams Dual Energy 265 camshaft. sounds amazing. has true dual 2.25 inch exhaust no mufflers and stock manifolds. ...

Link to exhaust after cam
                1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                Cruise-O-Matic
                Flamingo Pink.
                Daily driver

Comment

• Derbird
                  • Jul 10 2016

Looks good. I want mufflers in my car. Might be difficult getting them in before the axle.

Comment

• sidewalkman
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 14 2015

If you look under the car, there really is no room for mufflers and have them tucked until after the rear axle. Honestly I don't see a point to exiting the exhaust out the side, lake pipes are cool for looks, but only if they're installed backwards, meaning one the wrong side so you can have them even with the rockers not below the rockers. Even then after I looked into what would be involved with connecting them, and having a cutoff switch the expense wasn't equal to the gain. It's not like we're driving 1/4 milers, cruisers is what we have.
                    Scott
                    South Delta, BC, Canada
                    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                    Red Leather Interior!
                    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                    Thunderbird Registry #61266
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Derbird
                      Looking for exhaust ideas, specifically tips. What have you done? Pictures would be helpful.
                      Unless the bumper has cutouts for the exhaust I tend to like to keep my car's exhaust out of view, so it's heard but not seen.

On my tbird tho, my exhaust guy didn't do it that way. We ended up with an h pipe, spintech mufflers tucked in the back right before the tips.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎