This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road
Default The Truth Hurts Sometimes

I took the car to a local shop to be weighed last week. Brian has a wireless 4 pad setup. With no passenger seat or backseat, the passenger door panel and no other interior panels, on the street tires and wheels and 1/4 tank of gas, my results are:

No Driver:
Front Left - 977# Front 50.75%
Front Right - 939#
Rear Left - 944# Rear 49.26%
Rear Right - 915#

With me in the driver's seat:
Front Left - 1063# Front 50.61%
Front Right - 942#
Rear Left - 1000# Rear 49.38%
Rear Right - 954#
3958!

My hopes of losing 2-300# from the new motor and trans have been dashed against the hard rocks of reality. I'm 158 heavier than stock and I still have more to put on! On the bright side my front rear ratio is quite good. And as Roger my main mechanic keeps telling me "You don't have a race car, you have a street car that you want to go fast." The rest of the story will come this year when I get some passes and times. I don't think I'll have to worry about ripping up my new headliner for a rollcage cuz I went faster than 12 seconds.
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

Nice build. Under hood treatment is fine.
Creative air cleaner.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Experienced

Thank you FINSRIN. I am getting pretty excited now that the interior is close to being done. The carpet I got through the local TBird club 15 years ago is going in rather nicely. The article in the TRL is very helpful.
The car will be COMPLETE soon! I won't say done cuz there will always be something to attend to or improve but I;m really looking forward to how it's going to feel and sound with an interior. I promise video when I get to the strip.

Rick
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Experienced

Default Torque Conversion

So my mechanic was instructing me on how to launch the car using the line lock. It was not going to be easy with the line lock button in the console because it went like this: Pull up to the tree, put it in neutral, rev the motor aka flash the converter, apply brake pedal, hold line lock button, shift to low (with my left hand cuz my right index finger is on the button), move foot from brake to gas, bring revs up while waiting for the green light, upon green light release line lock and hit the gas. Not even thinking about the nitrous yet.
So I poked around the web a bit and it seems the consensus is: line lock can be useful at launch in a manual transmission car but footbraking is the way to do it if you have an automatic (me). Use the line lock only for the burnout. Then hold the car at the tree with your left foot while giving it all the gas you can without moving the car.
One of these footbrake guys said the first thing is find out your stall speed by doing that and noting what your rpm is at the point where the car starts to move. This is the part I don't understand. If the stall speed is the point at which the converter acts like a solid connection, theoretically one of two things should happen. Either the drivetrain overpowers the brakes, or if your brakes were strong enough, the brakes would overpower the drivetrain, the evidence of that being you pushing the accelerator past a certain point and the revs not increasing. In my case the car starts to move at just over 2000rpm. This with me pushing hard on the brake pedal, no line lock involvement. The converter was advertised as having a stall speed of 3000rpm. I'm just putting this out here in case any of you have anything to share. Hope everyone's having a good summer.
Rick
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Experienced

Default Timeslips!

Made 8 passes today. Pass #8: 12.9 seconds @ 110 mph. That was with the nitrous (100hp shot) coming in at 4 seconds after WOT. I need work on my staging and my 60ft times aren't very good but I'm pleased that my two ton car got into the 12s on its first day out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timeslip 1.jpg (495.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Timeslip 2.jpg (515.8 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Restifier52 : 08-24-2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added jpegs
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

That's really cool Rick.

I think the "tribute" engine treatment looks great.

You're just going to have to post a video of the car going down the track ......

Eric
Old 08-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I whole-heartedly agree with Eric Taylor.

Rick, is there any rush better than the feeling you get from a good run down the track? Congratulations for busting past that 13 sec. mark. There are few Squarebirds that go twelve seconds. Someday I'd like to see yours. My brother lives on Winn Lake in Lapeer so I make that trek by times. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Experienced

Default Back to Lapeer

Today and I was able to match my previous time and speed but not beat it even though I took my tires down to 16psi and started the nitrous sooner. I think the problem was I had an almost empty bottle. Of course better driving will help too. A guy offered to take a vid of me with his phone. He did but the quality is not good enough to post. I am going to Milan on Oct. 1 and I AM going to get some good video!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Rick, do you go with anyone? Good video should have a couple cameras, both on tripods.

You need one camera just ahead of the Christmas tree for the launch. The other camera should be about half way down the track with the traps in sight.

Cell phones don't offer stability or video quality you need. Tripods have the ability to smoothly pan while you zoom, etc. Editing is equally important. If you capture raw footage, I can make your video with music, narration, fade and many other features. The more cameras you use, the better your video will turn out because you get more perspectives. If you have good still pictures, they can embellish your video. Take 100 pictures. Seriously. Use as high resolution as you possibly can. Burn the stills and the raw video to a DVD and mail it to me. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Experienced

I'm working on getting someone to shoot. I have an old hi8 sony camera that takes a decent video and I do have a tripod for it. I suppose it's time to enter the 21st century and get a digital movie camera. And of course I have my still camera. If I can get more people to take pics and video then I could have a two camera production. If I succeed in getting a bunch of footage and stills I will certainly take you up on your generous offer.