Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

You know, there wasn't a spring under the steering wheel when I removed it, is a spring absolutely necessary? Thanks!

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
      Experienced
      • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
      The wires to the switch are too short, I can't clear the steering shaft, is there a way to remove the housing? Should I pull on the wires to try to clear the shaft? Thanks!
      At the bottom of the steering column where the wires come out , by the brake pedal area , there are two or three clips. undo them and that will allow the wires to come up higher to clear the column .

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
        Experienced
        • Mar 1 2017

You know, there wasn't a spring under the steering wheel when I removed it, is a spring absolutely necessary? Thanks!
        Ifl not mistaken , the spring type is on the '64 Bird column . Not the '65 and '66 . One of the reasons that you can not used a '64 wheel on the '65 and '66 Bird .

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
          Experienced
          • Mar 1 2017

Just remembered, did you mention you had cruise control , that may change the picture a bit . Have not worked on one of those columns to change the bearing sleeve . Hope I did not answer too soon .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Yes I have cruise, I got the turn switch out of the way, I can pull on the steering shaft a little, but the bearing won't clear the place where it sits, it only comes up a tiny bit, don't know how to get the bearing out, I got the retaining clip off, try to get something under the bearing while tapping the shaft, no luck so far, should I attempt to remove the steering shaft at the rag joint? Don't want to if I don't have to.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

Yes I have cruise, I got the turn switch out of the way, I can pull on the steering shaft a little, but the bearing won't clear the place where it sits, it only comes up a tiny bit, don't know how to get the bearing out, I got the retaining clip off, try to get something under the bearing while tapping the shaft, no luck so far, should I attempt to remove the steering shaft at the rag joint? Don't want to if I don't have to.
              With the nut on the shaft for lifting and tapping you may have to get a second person to lift while you try to get a small pry bar behind the bearing and then give the shaft a good hard tap. The bearing race is on a spline on the shaft once you get it to move it will come easy . You have to go through the reverse when you put the bearing back with the new sleeve . I have never had to remove or loosen the rag joint but if you have to , so be it . Not an easy item to get at.
              Perseverance is the word .

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎