Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWIW465
    • Feb 17 2018

New to me Golde Top

Just picked up a 1960 Bird with the Golde Top option. Trying to decide what direction to go with it. It is relatively rust free. 85K original miles.The data plate shows it as a Briarcliff Green originally but has received a custom paint job some years ago. I would like to keep my costs in line with the value so I'm not wasting the Kid's inheritance. LOL Mechanically it's pretty sound. Needs some front suspension maintenance and electrical gremlins chased away. No big deal on those. I'm an old hand at that sort of trickery. Need to know if the rarity warrants returning it to it's original color. And should I go for a driver or a trailer queen restoration? I do need to restore the Golde Top to working condition. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Welcome to the Forum. Even though the sunroof option makes it rare it doesn't really add a lot to the resale price over a standard hardtop. For that reason I wouldn't spend more on it than you can afford with the thought that you will get it back later down the road. I will always recommend returning it to it's original color if it's within your budget. Briarcliff Green is not that common a color so it may add to the resale price. However as someone who has bought and sold dozens of Thunderbirds over the past 45 years I can only caution you about spending more than the car will ultimately be worth. Resale values for Squarebirds are not anywhere close to muscle cars or other cars of the same era. As for whether to make it a driver or trailer queen that is up to you. Keeping it on a trailer is not going to enhance it's value so go ahead and enjoy it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

John, welcome to Squarebirds and congrats on your purchase!

What motor do you have? 352 or 430? What color is your interior?

I agree with John P on returning it to original color if you are going to paint. One problem to me with changing colors is a simple one: where do you stop? You open the hood or a door or something and there is the original color staring at you. but that's just me. There is the matter of the color, if not factory, being reasonably coordinated with the interior.

A big challenge can be chrome, financially. Those bumpers. Alot of pot metal pieces that were plated. In your case that rail on the sliding roof.

Good luck and keep us posted!

John G (no end of John's around here!)
      Last edited by JohnG; February 18, 2018, 12:02 AM.
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Needs some front suspension maintenance and electrical gremlins chased away. No big deal on those. I'm an old hand at that sort of trickery.

I agree with both John's statements with respect to original colour, as that's how she came off the assembly line. I would pick a budget ( purchase cost vs value/ resale ) and be respectful of project costs ( out side vendors ) to complete and stay within budget. Big ticket items such as body work / paint, chrome relating, engine and tranny can escalate$$
        You had mentioned " I'm an old hand at that sort of trickery" so I am guessing you can do a lot yourself which saves the labour costs of paying someone else.
        Let us know your progression in which restoration you decide with pictures.
        Last edited by Dan Leavens; February 18, 2018, 05:10 PM.
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• JWIW465
          • Feb 17 2018

Originally posted by JohnG

I agree with John P on returning it to original color if you are going to paint. One problem to me with changing colors is a simple one: where do you stop? You open the hood or a door or something and there is the original color staring at you. but that's just me. There is the matter of the color, if not factory, being reasonably coordinated with the interior.

A big challenge can be chrome, financially. Those bumpers. Alot of pot metal pieces that were plated. In your case that rail on the sliding roof.

John G, Thanks for the welcome. This car is a driver unless I do a major restore. Everything is there and presentable. Black leather interior is one of the reasons I grabbed it. Any color will look good. It looks like it had an older color change to Royal Burgundy, a nice color, which was a thorough change, no readily visible green showing. Then later a custom color change to Springdale Rose and white two tone with the top and scallop being white, but no attempt to cover the burgundy inside. Too gaudy for my taste, but still a presentable driver. It's a 352 seems to run OK. All options except AC. The wind bar is nice. The sunroof needs attention but doesn't leak. Major chrome is just OK with no rust but certainly not parade/show quality. The nice thing is it fits good, very minimal rust and is arrow straight. Well worth a full restoration if it would bring a return on the investment. 85K original miles with much of the mechanical restoration already completed. I'll get some pics posted later today.

Comment

• JWIW465
            • Feb 17 2018

Thanks for the tips. It's a cool old Bird.

Comment

• JWIW465
              • Feb 17 2018

Originally posted by JohnG

Thanks for the welcome. I was hoping it was a 430, but it's a 352. But I love FE engines and am well versed in their maintenance and modification. So it will be tough for me to leave it stock even though they run sweet just like Henry built them.

Originally posted by jopizz
              Welcome to the Forum. Even though the sunroof option makes it rare it doesn't really add a lot to the resale price over a standard hardtop. For that reason I wouldn't spend more on it than you can afford with the thought that you will get it back later down the road. I will always recommend returning it to it's original color if it's within your budget. Briarcliff Green is not that common a color so it may add to the resale price. However as someone who has bought and sold dozens of Thunderbirds over the past 45 years I can only caution you about spending more than the car will ultimately be worth. Resale values for Squarebirds are not anywhere close to muscle cars or other cars of the same era. As for whether to make it a driver or trailer queen that is up to you. Keeping it on a trailer is not going to enhance it's value so go ahead and enjoy it.

John
              Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

• JWIW465
                • Feb 17 2018

Pics

[ATTACH]15159[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15160[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15161[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                😀