• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pat64tbird
    Apprentice
    • Apr 3 2014

Interstate battery.

Hello Members,

I would like to replace the very small battery that my brother has in his 64 Thunderbird (with a 390 engine and AC).
    I prefer Interstate batteries. So, my question is: does any member have a Interstate battery in there Thunderbird and if yes, can you tell the model or series number of the battery so I don't purchase the wrong one? Thank you.

Sincerely,

Patrick
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by pat64tbird
    Hello Members,

I would like to replace the very small battery that my brother has in his 64 Thunderbird (with a 390 engine and AC).
    I prefer Interstate batteries. So, my question is: does any member have a Interstate battery in there Thunderbird and if yes, can you tell the model or series number of the battery so I don't purchase the wrong one? Thank you.

Sincerely,

Patrick
    I have an Interstate in my 58 I stole from my 65, I can get you the number when I am home tonight. But really any battery company should work, you just need the group number.

Comment

• pat64tbird
      Apprentice
      • Apr 3 2014

Hello Rusty,

If you can get me the number I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Interstate battery

According to Jim Mills, VTCI 1964-1966 Technical Editor, for 1964 Tbirds, the VTCI OFS lists the battery to be 29N which is a 65 amp. had gray caps to identify it, this was used in low option cars.
        The optional HD battery was a 27HF 80 amp with black caps. The 27HF was what would have been used in cars with A/C and other options such as power windows.

According to Interstate Battery, here is the one you want, a Workaholic 420 CCA, 29NF-VHD. Here is the link to it.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p...780-2147384903

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you're more concerned about performance then originality I would go with the 27F. It will fit just fine in the original battery tray and will give you more CCA. It is also much easier to find.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• pat64tbird
            Apprentice
            • Apr 3 2014

Thank you John and Ray for the information.

Patrick

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Interstate battery.

I concur with what John said about getting a 27F since your brother has AC on his Tbird. Interstate suggests the 29N if you want an OEM looking battery, but it has a lot less cranking power (only 420CCA) than the 27F. When you search the Interstate website, it is the 29N that comes up, instead of the 27F. However, speaking with my local Interstate Battery rep here, he said for a 1964 Thunderbird with AC and power accessories, you want the hardier MTP-27F instead. It gives you 710CCA. Here is more information about it. It is called a Mega-Tron Plus.

30 Month Free Replacement, 6 year performance warranty.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p...~21-2147384906

I am aware that link states it is for a '59 Fairlane, but he says it is also for that '64 Tbird, and other models and years.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Why do we need such a huge battery?
                There's only one good reason, your generator/alternator isn't big enough.

I took a hard look at this a couple decades ago when all of a sudden, battery capacities were downsized in modern Mustangs.

Wouldn't you think a large engine requires a large battery? No. We only need a battery with enough capacity to start the engine in cold temp's. After the engine is started, alternators begin charging at idle speeds and above. 'Alternators' is the operative here.

When Squarebirds were built, generators began charging above 1,000 rpm. Below that speed, the field windings in the generator actually drained the battery at idle speeds as characterized by your GEN light flickering at a stop light. To make matters worse, the mechanical voltage regulator energized two relay coils. Not a problem if the car was moving but it was a problem when we typically start the engine then go outside to shake off the snow. During that 'warm-up' time, the battery is draining even further. Don't forget about running the heater/defroster motor, radio (to hear weather/traffic reports) and headlights because it's normally dark before work's starting time in winter. So, batteries needed lots of reserve power to help a feeble 30-amp generator system.

I will always advocate for swapping your generator for a 3-wire alternator. All new cars come with one, the brand means little to me and they are internally regulated. Alternators start charging immediately upon engine motion. (One-wire alternators do not but that's another discussion.)

I understand, folks rarely use their Squarebird in winter or for work these days. Classic Car service is milquetoast by comparison. Regardless, think of future accessories when choosing an alternator. Get one large enough to run an electric cooling fan so at prolonged idle speeds, never worry about overheating, even with A/C running. Since an alternator's supply now meets the demand, a simple battery will do just fine.

Here's one for UNDER $50 at Walmart:

It has 585-CCA which is the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.

When you get into high CCAmps, the price jumps 100-300% or more. For fifty bucks, c'mon, I'll buy two and use the other as a portable backup, stored in a battery box in the trunk. If you really need huge CCA's, connect both batteries and enjoy 1,170-CCA's for a hundred bucks. This is over the top because you only need one. In winter, I use a 'spare' on my test bench. It beats those portable HF starting boxes, too. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

The model I have is a MTP-65 which shows it has CCA-850 CA 1,000 Positive lead is on the right, neg on the left.

And I have done what Dave has, most of my newer batteries have all come from Walmart, except I've been buying the $100 ones.

For example here is Walmart's Group 65 battery.

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  I concur with what John said about getting a 27F since your brother has AC on his Tbird. Interstate suggests the 29N if you want an OEM looking battery, but it has a lot less cranking power (only 420CCA) than the 27F. When you search the Interstate website, it is the 29N that comes up, instead of the 27F. However, speaking with my local Interstate Battery rep here, he said for a 1964 Thunderbird with AC and power accessories, you want the hardier MTP-27F instead. It gives you 710CCA. Here is more information about it. It is called a Mega-Tron Plus.

30 Month Free Replacement, 6 year performance warranty.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p...~21-2147384906

I am aware that link states it is for a '59 Fairlane, but he says it is also for that '64 Tbird, and other models and years.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The downside to the 24F is that it isn't long enough to use the factory battery tray mount. You will have to fabricate something to hold it in place. I don't like to leave my batteries without a hold down.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

I bought a 27F from local shop, Bulldog Battery, which fits perfectly. Of course my plan was to install the correct cables and hold down. The battery came w/o any markings so I could throw a decal on it.

Comment

• pat64tbird
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 3 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
                        The downside to the 24F is that it isn't long enough to use the factory battery tray mount. You will have to fabricate something to hold it in place. I don't like to leave my batteries without a hold down.

John
                        That's the problem I had with my brother's undersize battery. Money was tight for him so he went for the smaller one. To stop it from bouncing around I bungee corded it down. It's now time to get the right size battery.
                        Thank you everyone for your input.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by pat64tbird
                          That's the problem I had with my brother's undersize battery. Money was tight for him so he went for the smaller one. To stop it from bouncing around I bungee corded it down. It's now time to get the right size battery.
                          Thank you everyone for your input.

Sincerely,

Patrick
                          You ain't lived until you've been in a car where the unsecured battery (bungee cord snapped!) toppled over into the fan which splits the battery open and sprays acid all over the hot headers, the resulting fumes felt like they were going to kill us all.
                          A hasty ext and a lot of coughing and gagging resulted!
                          ('58 Ford back in the 70's, I learnt from that experience)
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• pat64tbird
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 3 2014

I put the bungee cord on the battery in the fall. My brother has only use the car twice. It was a new cord and is very thick compared to the thin flimsy ones.
                            Originally my brother had nothing holding the batter down. I didn't know this at the time. Once I purchase the right size battery the clamp will finally be in use. Thanks for the response.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎