Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Is that the broken easy-out in the SIDE of the threads (at about 6 o'clock) ???
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• del
      Retired Expert Enthusiast
      • May 11 2010

some success today

Originally posted by sidewalkman
      Good luck, looks like a huge pain!

Yes, it is! Obviously, not part of the plan for fall activity, and if I don't get her back together pretty soon, I'm going to have to push it out of the way so I can get my snowblower out from behind.

Tap arrived today, it is OK but envelope took a beating. It took me two tries to get the cardboard pattern to locate the second hole in the right location. You can see my first attempt was a bit off... Luckily, my square piece was a little off center as well, so by rotating it slightly I was able to get the 2nd hole lined up right over the busted bolt. Viola! a newly drilled 5mm hole in the busted bolt!
      Unfortunately, I forgot to get a suitable EZout for that size hole so I will enjoy tomorrow's chilly weather watching football.
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Don Vincent
      Amherst NY
      1960 HT 352
      TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Well done!

IF the hole you drilled has taken out all the EzY-out AND is centred you could try using drill bits of increasing sizes until the last drill is just ‘kissing’ the original thread on the manifold and then use the appropriate tap to clear the thread of the remains of the original bolt.

Worked for me more than once.

I rarely use my Ezy-outs for the reason you discovered!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• del
          • May 11 2010

Is that the broken easy-out in the SIDE of the threads (at about 6 o'clock) ???
          No, that is where my original attempt to drill out the broken EZout with a regular HS bit slipped off.

IF the hole you drilled has taken out all the EzY-out AND is centred...
          Well, my new hole is not perfectly centered so I think I will try the larger EZout option first... I'm sure that I got all the previous EZout out, so that's a plus.

Plan for today is to continue to alternate MAP gas heat with pb blaster. A bit cool in the garage this morning..outdoor temp 34F
          Regards,
          Don Vincent
          Amherst NY
          1960 HT 352
          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
            • May 11 2010

Any used one of these?

Anyone have luck with the type in the upper-left? How exactly do you use it?
            Attached Files
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Joe Johnston
              Super-Experienced
              • Dec 23 2008

Drive it into the drilled hole with a hammer, and then twist. The square shape bites into and grips the broken bolt.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

The square-shaped extractor allows you to finesse the broken bolt in BOTH directions whereas the twisted type will only work in one direction. The 'trade-off' is, instead of digging in with several sides, the square digs in with four. Don't pound it in too hard or the threads will simply bind.

Using a 4-sided extractor is important in cases where the broken bolt will move slightly, then bind. Working it back and forth will sometimes allow the movement to extend more and more. So rather than 'gorilla-ing' the broken piece, a bit of finesse will ease the bind as the piece unscrews.

I would try with the spiral first. If you get motion, then a bind, use the square but turn the screw back IN (then out, in, out...). The guys at work like extracting screws with heat. I prefer to wait and let the area cool.

You did well by pulling the heat-treat out of the broken easy out before drilling through it BTW, the tap I sent is a starting tap. It will only go so far. Then, you should use a bottoming tap. If you get lucky and are able to turn the original screw out, use the tap, then go the rest of the way with a grade-8 bolt and plenty of penetrating oil as you work it in and out. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• del
                  • May 11 2010

no luck yet with extractor

My first attempts with the spiral style extractor were not successful. I tries two different sizes, but so far that sucker won't budge. More to come...
                  Regards,
                  Don Vincent
                  Amherst NY
                  1960 HT 352
                  TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
                    • May 11 2010

I see threads!

I used a variety of implements to chisel the old bolt out and have finally exposed the threads. Had to grind a chisel point on that tool in the center which turned out to be the most useful.

So next step is that tap Dave sent me. Right now about 5/16" of it will fit in the hole before any resistance. I have never tapped a hole so any pointers for the rookie are appreciated. Any lubricant? Just let the tool do the work I presume...but tips on what to watch for?

Meanwhile has anyone had any experience with these, just in case? Got the tip from one of our club members. http://www.timesert.com/
                    Attached Files
                    Regards,
                    Don Vincent
                    Amherst NY
                    1960 HT 352
                    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

Do you have an air compressor?? Even a very small one for a nail gun?? If so, cover the hole with a rag and blow air into the hole to remove any rust or chips. If no compressor, even a soda straw will work!

Then start the tap, add some light oil and carefully twist about a half a turn, the back out a half, then try a full turn, than out a full turn. Continue if resistance is not great for a couple of turns. Then remove tap, cover, and blow out oil and any debris. Start over and keep doing the slow twisting of the tap several more times till you are at the bottom of the hole, and keep blowing out the debris. I see remnants of the original threads in the hole, and you (hopefully) should not need the threaded insert.

Bear in mind, you are not cutting new threads, but "chasing" or cleaning up the original threads. Bottom taps are also available which can be used to chase the threads nearly to the bottom of this blind hole. Don't get in a hurry, and NEVER push sideways!!! only twist the tap, trying to stay over the center, and frequently blow out the chips. The hard part is done, just have to restore the threads as best as possible and reassemble.

As a side note, make sure the bolts used are short enough to tighten before hitting the bottom of this blind hole.

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Summit Racing has a packet of six thread chasing taps for $15:99, might be worth buying a packet?
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• del
                          • May 11 2010

Reassembly underway!

Those tips were very helpful Joe - Thanks! I now have nice clean threads. The new grade 8 bolts are about 1/8" shorter than the originals so they won't bottom out. It goes in all the way nice and clean.

That was quite the adventure...Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Whomever came up the the unfortunately inaccurate EZout name was a marketing genius.
                          Regards,
                          Don Vincent
                          Amherst NY
                          1960 HT 352
                          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• sidewalkman
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 14 2015

Well done, you have more patience than I definitely. Last winter I did the blown exhaust gaskets, heads had to come off after I snapped 4 of the 8 bolts that I could actually reach off into the head.
                            Nightmare job in an underground pulling the intake then heads! I extracted 2 of the broken bolts with vice grips and gave up and sent the heads into a shop to get the other 2 out. And the 2 broken studs out of the bottom of the manifold!!!
                            End result though is having a car with 0 exhaust leaks and 0 oil leaks!!!!
                            Scott
                            South Delta, BC, Canada
                            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                            Red Leather Interior!
                            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                            Thunderbird Registry #61266
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• del
                              • May 11 2010

Thanks Scott!

I did check into the pricing for a new aluminum Edelbrock intake manifold, just in case I got the the point of having to remove mine if I butchered the hole beyond repair. Really happy I didn't have to go to that extreme.
                              It will probably be an easier repair next time now that I have some experience with it, but I hope there is no next time!
                              Regards,
                              Don Vincent
                              Amherst NY
                              1960 HT 352
                              TBird Registry 34042

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡