Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timmy
    • Feb 7 2017

Front End Clip

Hello everyone, I'm new to owning a thunderbird. I just recently purchased a '61 with some front end damage and I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find the front clip. I could probably beat it back out but it would look goofy and I don't think the lights would fit back in there properly. Has anyone seen these for sale and know where I'd be able to get a replacement? Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

I'm thinking the whole front end on the 61/62 is bolt on whereas the 63 is welded. You may get lucky and find the entire unit more readily available by buying a parts car. Biggest concern is finding it reasonably close to your location. My best guess is the 61 & 62 would work easily for you, but not 63 as there are other minor differences.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Your Thunderbird is unibody, not body on frame so it has no front clip as you would find on a body on frame car. The front fender can be replaced but the inner structure is part of the unibody.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

I suggest you call around to some local junkyards. Being a dry climate, Utah probably has some great ones. One or more will have a "classic" yard, and may even have a dedicated TBird area.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a diagram that shows how your front end is welded to the rest of the body. If you can't straighten out the damaged area you will have to cut it out and weld in a new piece if you can find one. You can try calling some of the Thunderbird vendors that sell used parts like the Bird's Nest, The Thunderbird Connection or Pat Wilson Thunderbirds.

John
          Attached Files
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• timmy
            • Feb 7 2017

Thanks everybody I finally dug into it a little more and it is in fact bolted on so thats good. But on the down side it looks like it's going to be a lot more work then i originally thought. right after i posted that i thought about the junk yard option and have a couple leads now. Thanks again.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Take some measurements of the frame points to make sure you are square. A line laser level can help you make these measurements. If questionable, a local frame shop can probably straighten out the chassis for a lot less money than you'd expect.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎