This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blokkah View Post
Sure, I'd love to know, thanks!
Numbers I have are 13-1/4 and 2-1/8 or 6.23.
Practically man disk numbers already.
I guess Ford didn't think much of their underdash booster either..........

Couple pics of that disaster brake pedal. Good news is,
should be able to mod ratio easier since it comes apart in so
many pieces.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/59%20T-...201_160008.jpg

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/59%20T-...201_160032.jpg

(the other brake pedal is one is from a 79 Bronco, for reference)

Last edited by OX1 : 10-10-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Noob

Y-Blokkah is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
I'm blown away by the helpful folks here.

Feeling Blessed.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I realize you want the look of stock but you may end up shooting yourself in the foot if your brakes aren't done right.

I pick a modern car of similar size/weight and ask, 'what do the automakers use?' That should be your goal, to stop just like a modern car.

Do they have manual disc or power disc and why. Power disc work much better and they meet or exceed federal standards.

Power boosters are variable, like a servo. The harder you push on the pedal the more assistance they deliver until they reach their maximum boost. This is different from re-locating a bolt hole on your brake pedal (which is NOT variable ratio). The trade-off is stroke. The closer you put your pedal bolt to the pivot, the farther your pedal must travel for the same hydraulic flow. Is it worth it? The auto manufacturers think not and believe me, they would LOVE to save $50/vehicle.

Buy a power disc brake booster/master/pedal linkage kit #9787 from ABS (on their page 95) if you have a Squarebird. They offer other kits for other T-birds and Ford Cars. Pirate Jack has attractive prices if you don't need that Squarebird firewall bracket. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Noob

Thanks!
Just be sure, that ABS setup will clear the factory a/c box?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Question on using factory wheels.

Yes, if you buy the ABS setup, make sure they know that your Tbird has AC on it, and you need to clear that AC box.. They have the model mounting bracket that fixes that problem. Unfortunately, we have found, over the years, that they will not sell you just that mounting bracket. They want you to buy the whole set up from them.....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Noob

Thank you, Sir! I make a phone call tomorrow for info and availability.

Between y’all and ex California folks on our highways in Collin County, y’all sold me on this rig.
I see my life pass before my eyes every single day now.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 AM
Slow Typist

I can be a little thick at times but... Your profile doesn't list a Thunderbird. Your first post in this thread referenced '59 T-Bird wheels.

Is this brake setup for a Squarebird or a full-size Ford?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Noob

Yup. I have a 59 squarebird convertible.

Trying to make it safe for today’s North Texas idiocy.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blokkah View Post
Yup. I have a 59 squarebird convertible.
Trying to make it safe for today’s North Texas idiocy.
Then Ernie, I suggest you definitely buy the Scarebird spindle brackets, the ABS kit #9787, S-10 calipers and pads, a combination proportioning valve, 3/8" & 7/16" IFF nuts and a 3/16"-diameter coil of CUNIFER brake line. This brake line costs more than steel but it never rusts, flares like butter and the cheapest IFF (inverted flare fittings) tools work just fine for perfectly formed ends. I did a video on this.

I hope you will do the work yourself. If you don't have a pair of brake line pliers (for bending brake line) go to your nearest Harbor Freight and pick up a pair for TEN bucks (minus the 20% coupon). I bought a pair of Lisle for $30 before HF started selling their own. They both do the exact same thing.

By far, 'power front disc brakes' is the best upgrade on my cars. Everyone who installs them LOVES the performance. I've never heard anyone say they will go back to front drums.

I'm sure you will have questions and that's ok. Many of our members have done this retrofit. Take lots of pictures as you go along. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Noob

I shall, sir. Thanks.

My first order of business for this car is an investigation of a couple spots on the lower quarters that I looked at a bit sideways.
I really don't see anything really untoward, but I've been doing this way, way too long, and better safe than sorry.
And,... the spare tire well was "repaired" at one time.
It appears to have been done by a Chimp coming off a 10 day drunk. #2 to fix.

This car has a 390/C6 combo in it, so I'll investigate that a bit further as well. I'm a real DR fan, but a C6 is definitely the trans of choice when it comes to simple old fashioned durability.
I also have the complete original engine/trans on a pallet, so who knows...

If my Crown Vicky was half this solid when I started with it, I'd have been over the moon.

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm just seeing a nice, solid, easy driving car here that's gonna be able to actually run with today's traffic when needed, and be the cool old car at the same time. HAPPINESS!