This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 AM

JWIW465 is on a distinguished road

This company has the finger cups.
http://www.stoddard.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Golde
Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 AM

Default Magic Glides

I put a pair on mine today. I can't say if they are working OK or not since the PO or some other "mechanic" had sealed the roof with silicone. Grrrr. Cot out the silicone and the old seal but the panel wouldn't go all the way back. Anyway I got it apart without damaging anything. Cleaned up everything I could. Adjusted what I could. It has been apart before. has had the brass lift levers installed. one of them has some extra play in it where it goes onto the lift rod. But it did have enough adjustment to pull the lift rod completely plumb. Still sits a little low on the back passenger side. Need to know if the ramps are adjustable before I try it and break some onobtainable part. So, now with everything adjusted and tightened up, the panel seems to glide OK until about 1/2 to 3/4 open. The glides I used are slightly thicker than the original felt pads by maybe 1/32 but since it was already dragging I don't think that's the issue Guess I'll be removing the headliner tomorrow to investigate.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I would follow the instructions in the TRL for adjusting the front and rear height.
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...L_M-201_P7.pdf

If it sags in the rear try adjusting the rear height adjusting links. The ramps are adjustable but I wouldn't mess with them too much. If they break they are nearly impossible to find.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Another possibility is that the seal around the back of the panel is too fat. This will prevent the back of the panel from levelling with the roof.
Carl
Old 09-26-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I would follow the instructions in the TRL for adjusting the front and rear height.
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...L_M-201_P7.pdf

If it sags in the rear try adjusting the rear height adjusting links. The ramps are adjustable but I wouldn't mess with them too much. If they break they are nearly impossible to find.

John
John,

Thanks for the feedback. I followed the instructions, which were a lifesaver! This page is loaded with invaluable information. The lift levers are maxed out but the RR corner is still about 1/16 low. The ramps look like they could be easily damaged if not handled with care. That's why I decided to apply some PB Blaster and step away for a day or two.

John
Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
Another possibility is that the seal around the back of the panel is too fat. This will prevent the back of the panel from levelling with the roof.
Carl
Carl,

That's certainly a possibility. Never having worked on one of these, I'm guessing at whether the seals are the right ones. I had to cut out the side/front seal and what was in there didn't seem like it was a factory type seal. It was a very dense, thick rubber that seemed to me as though it would generate an excessive amount of friction on the sides when trying to slide the panel? The rear seal appears to be a manufactured unit but may not be original to the car? If I read the information correctly the car would have come with pot metal lift levers but this one has the brass levers. The information I found was a little vague as to whether the brass arms were a retrofit by an aftermarket vendor or a manufacturer modification midstream during production. So, I don't know how much is factory original and how much is repair work. It is obvious that it has been apart though because the corner pieces of the track are missing and one of the glides was missing as well. The sliding panel has slightly more curvature than the roof itself. I assume that is by design to assure a good seal in the center when closed. Nothing appears to be bent. But, as you say, the seal may not be correct for the application. I see that a seal kit is available from the Bird's Nest. I'll be ordering that and new headliners. Would like to find as many replacement parts as possible before tackling the full restoration. I need at least one of the adjustable track sliders, which was improperly installed and is now deformed slightly. It would probably be serviceable but should be replaced. Any ideas on where to locate those bit & pieces would be greatly appreciated.

John