X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Ignition switch question

I received this message today and do not have the first hand knowledge to help, so I am copying and pasting it here for y'all to help him. Thanks in advance. J

Hi Joe, i'm new to this site, I have a 1962 tbird, I ordered a new ignition tumbler and keys from macs. I removed the old one( had to drill it out) the one they sent me is not the same as the old. looking at it from the back side, there are 3 extensions. one at 12 oclock, one at 7 oclock, and one at 1 oclock. the one that came out has only 2, one at 12 o clock and one at 5 oclock. I called and they told me I probably don't have an original switch, does this sound correct? I know the switch I took out has been in a very long time, the key is worn to a nub.
    the car only has 29,000 miles on it.
    thank you for any help
    joe delbonis
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's what the ignition lock cylinder for a '62 should look like. I replaced one not too long ago and this is the one I used. Echlin part # ECH KS6485.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The ignition switch for 1961-64 Thunderbirds is the same part number (C3AZ 11572-A; refer to the illustration below).

1960 part number is B5A... (meaning it was introduced and used since 1955), because all the wires attach individually.
      Ford went to a plug arrangement in '61, so those wires could not be crossed at the assembly plant.

You guys with earlier Squarebirds, don't get nervous, this book I'm using starts in year 1960, so your switches are the same as 1960.

Macsautoparts.com agrees with this... They show four different parts for your switch, including a replacement plug.

A 1961 tumbler (C3AZ 1582-A) will not fit a (1958-60) Squarebird switch. So look at the back side of your ignition switch. If it has a plug/socket arrangement, it is a '61-64. If no plug it is a Squarebird. - Dave
      Attached Files
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

This message is for joho123.. You emailed us requesting to know how to ask questions on this Forum. I emailed you and asked you to call me at 210-674-5781 and I would talk you through it. You have not replied. If you want to know how to post and ask your own questions, give me a call!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

ignition switch bezel

I can't get behind the switch to push through enough to attach the bezel, is there any easier way?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would like to say there's an easier way but unfortunately there isn't. You have to push the switch toward you in order to put the bezel on and turn it. I've done a number of them and every one was a real pain.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

bezel

I can't get behind it without removing fuse block, I guess that is what I must do.
              joe

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎