No announcement yet.

Top cut patch, what should I do

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top cut patch, what should I do

Got my car today. Top sadly has one quarter inch tear in a otherwise very nice newer top. How can I patch it from inside the car I assume to stop it from ripping more?
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Tim not knowing the extent of the tear on your top, an adhesive tape ( Gorilla tape etc. ) may be used internally to stop additional expansion. I did that on a Mercedes convert top for my wife years ago with success until it was repaired professionally
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

it is a very small slit, like quarter of an inch. I want to stop it before it gets out of hand as the top is in great shape otherwise. I'd figure this vinyl tops can be patched with that small of a hole. It is on the back side where the top metal framing moves up and down. I suspect it got pinched at some point.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Tim if it is in the interior ( underside ) of the vinyl top would an old fashion rubber tire patch be flexible enough once placed firmly on for the metal framing?

It is on the back side where the top metal framing moves up and down. I suspect it got pinched at some point.
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍