• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Convertible top motor problem. Want opinions

1959 convertible
    Please review the following and see if I’ve forgotten anything. Feel free to offer opinions or alternate procedures.
    The facts:
    Car was not run for at least 11 years. Now running.
    Hydraulic hose for top was repaired with duct tape. Leaking is obvious.
    Pump reservoir is almost empty.
    Pump motors runs when power is applied.
    Rams do not function properly when power applied probably due to no fluid and /or due to age there could be other issues.
    Pitting may have occurred on the exposed ram shafts.
    Concerns:
    After filling the reservoir - Under pressure ram seals and or pump seals may blow out with consequent damages.
    Rams and pump may prove inoperable anyway.
    The plan:
    Remove the pump and rams as a unit and secure to the bench. Replace all hoses. Add fluid and apply power for several cycles. If everything works clean up and reinstall. If something fails replace and then reinstall.
    Thanks, Chris
    Attached Files
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

The owners manual directed that the reservoir be filled with brake fluid. You may still have brake fluid in the system. The system should be flushed with ATF until any BF residue is gone. I stick the ram with a hose on one port in a container of ATF and cycle the ram until fresh atf replaces whatever is in there. Take the end off the pump to empty it and to see if there is any debris or residue of brake fluid in the reservoir. Assemble and fill with clean atf and operate the pump in both directions (hose attached) and repeat until clean atf remains. Add new hoses and you should be good to go.
    Carl

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by p38fighter
      The plan:
      Remove the pump and rams as a unit and secure to the bench. Replace all hoses. Add fluid and apply power for several cycles. If everything works clean up and reinstall. If something fails replace and then reinstall.
      Thanks, Chris

With the hoses disconnected I would move the pistons in and out by hand to make sure there's no residual fluid left. I would remove the reservoir from the pump (gaskets can usually be reused, make a mark (if it's not marked already) on both the pump body and the end plate so it goes back in the same place) and clean it out. Chances are it's got some caked brake fluid inside. Put everything back together on the bench with new hoses and use Type F transmission fluid and not brake fluid. Fill the pump to the bottom of the hole and cycle the motor a few times in both directions. Bleed the pump after every cycle and add more fluid if necessary. If after five or six cycles the pistons move freely in and out and fully extend and retract with no leaks it should be ok to put back on the car. I've put them on as a unit before so you shouldn't have any problem.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• p38fighter
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 14 2016

Thanks Carl and John. I'll report back when I'm finished...

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎