C6 transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

C6 transmission swap

Hi again,

If I want to do a swap to a C6 transmission the experts says that I have to shorten the driveshaft. What is the best way (or technique) to do the shortening, and how much should I shorten the driveshaft? The experts also say that I have to change to a newer style starter as the C6 bell housing won't accept the long starter shaft of the early cars. Can someone give me some example of starters that will fit the C6 bell housing or any other solution to fit the starter? Thanks for any help on these questions.

• 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

RE: C6 transmission swap

Any of the newer starters will work, I think 1966 and newer. (they have the short shaft on them, and move out to engage the flexplate) You will also have to get a newer flex plate as there is a different number of teeth on the newer flexplates. As far as the drive shaft. I would measure the distance you now have between the back of the transmission and the rear end. After installation of the C-6 check the new distance and have the difference removed from the drive shaft. Usually the drive shaft job can be done by a local machine shop, that has a lathe and are able to weld. What I do not know is if you need the starter mount/spacer that is about 1/16" thick, that goes between the bellhousing and the engine block. The Squarebirds do not have this spacer, as the starter is aligned by a shim/seal that mounts under the starter.It is also my understanding that the transmission mount has to be moved back a bit. I have not done this conversion as of yet, but plan to some time in the future. I am sure that someone here has more info then I have, although, I hope this helps.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

Thanks Steve for the information

Comment

I enquired about the same thing a few months ago. check out what the guys said. the link is below. this might help. Helped me. I have the tranny and will hopefully be doing the swap this week. I can keep you posted on exactly I went through if you wish.

good luck!

Comment

hi
          I put a c6 in my 1960 bird, drive shaft was fine as is. I ordered a trans for a 1966 tbird with the 428 from advance. the rest, trans mount, well its kind of just setting there with me eyeballing the angles and ajusting the crossmember to suit, not like it should be but i have put about 30,000 miles on it like that
          later
          mark 1960 bird conv.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎