Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denis4x4
    • Feb 7 2012

Trunk/tail light trim alignment

Thought I could post a photo! I have a 3/8" + gap between the trunk lip and the tail light trim. The gap runs from either side of the license to zero where the fins start. Tried adjusting the trunk latch as well as the trim pieces on top of the tail light housing. I did discover that the trunk rubber has no give and that leads me to believe that gap may have been caused by the rubber. Any thoughts on this? Will also try to post a photo on an album.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It seems like every squarebird I've had has that gap where the trunk lid turns. If it is even by the time it gets to the fins then there's not much you can do to adjust it. One thing you can do is remove the trim pieces and enlarge the screw holes in the body near where the trunk sticks up. That will raise them up to match the trunk lid but then it won't be even underneath where the taillights are. However it's not as noticeable under there. I'm assuming the gap you are referring to is the same as the one in the picture.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Like John, I've seen so many pictures with the gap as shown. When I used to work new car prep, at a dealership, we would always fight alignment problems. Sometimes you just had to tweak things a little. The trunk lids are pretty sturdy on these old Birds, but we would put a block of wood under each corner and apply pressure at the center of the trunk to try and reshape it. Takes a little finesse and a lot of patients, but we were often able to get things aligned. I think a picture would help to make sure of the gap you are trying to correct. A 3/8" gap is pretty substantial.
      Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe there was a service bulletin issued to install rubber bumpers to the outside corners to make them even with the quarter panels. I assume this was done after adjusting the trunk lock to lower it in the center. I've never seen one that had it done though.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎