X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Door seals

I have learned the hard way that DC parts are usually the best. My body guy installed the door seals and at first the doors wouldn't close without 100s of lbs. of pressure! He said he had seen this before. We pulled the doors closed with tie-downs from inside the car - actually a little bit past the normal closure point.

After about 6 months the seals had compressed to the point that I could install the latches and everything is fine. If you are patient, this will work. I had plenty of other work to do on the car.

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'd rather not have to wait 6 months for the doors to close correctly. After 3 years the doors in my '59 still didn't close easily. The factory seals didn't take 6 months to seat. The cars were sold within weeks of being built. If they were made to spec then the doors should close correctly when they are installed.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Yeah, I agree with both of you Johns. Mr. Orwin makes the point that Ford didn't use Dennis Carpenter seals. Even though DC has the equipment and the process, his seals are not stock. They may be better and last longer than stock but they require more time to 'bed in'.

The factory couldn't possibly wait so they used products that offered 'instant gratification'.

I use DC vent window seals. When I first got them I thought the contour was all wrong. Then I realized that my old ones were old, hard and they took a 'set' from the wing being closed for fifty years. It didn't take long. The new supple rubber successfully sealed water out while it took time to conform as the action of the latch became easier. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• orwin
          1960 Tbird
          • Jun 17 2008

Gaskets needed

After buying a "kit", here are the results:
          • Trunk seal was unusable, not even remotely like the original cross-section. I sent it back, bought new one from DC
          • Door fuzzies - clips were no good messed them up so no return, bought new ones from DC
          • Door seals - these were actually from DC and are tight but usable after time.

I'd recommend buying any parts that Dennis Carpenter lists and buy the rest piecemeal from one of the other suppliers. I'd have spent less money that way.

Just my 2 cents,

John
          John Orwin
          1960 HT 430
          VTCI #11290
          Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎