X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

Dash Cluster Switch Illumination

I replaced the inner bezels on my dash cluster switches with new green bezels. The ignition switch lights up fine but the headlight switch bezel does not. On the other side, the wiper switch lights up but not the lighter. I can see white light seeping around the edge of the lighter element but no light through the bezel. I replaced all the bulbs with LED when I changed out the bezels. I then put the the old #57 bulbs back in but that didn't help. I also put the old clear bezels back in with no difference made. The only difference that I can see between the old and new bezels is that the new bezels and the relectors are one piece. Someone has definetly had the dash cluster out before as there aren't any wire harness brackets. Could something be missing on the backside of the cluster? All I see is the metal boxes that the lights plug in to. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Ken
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

That's a great question Ken. I can say there doesn't seem enough illumination in the first place and I have an alternator. My cigar lighter and wiper aren't that bright with a new bulb in place. Then again I can't even get close from under the dash to the bulb you replaced for the ignition and light switches. I can't see how you reach that from the fuel gauge even if removed.

Dean

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I'll post a picture of the back of the dash just for clarification. Not sure it will help at all. The bulb for the ign switch/light switch is directly above the ign switch so it seems reasonable it would be brighter.
      Nyles
      Attached Files

Comment

• 430bird60
        Experienced
        • Dec 30 2008

I was able to get to the light above the ignition switch by removing the fuel gage. Due to the position of that light I can understand why the lights bezel may not be as bright but I have to put my head right by the bezel to even see a glimmer. The boxes on my dash panel don't have anything in them and I'm wondering if there should be something there to direct the light? Thanks again fo any help.
        Ken

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by 430bird60
          I was able to get to the light above the ignition switch by removing the fuel gage. Due to the position of that light I can understand why the lights bezel may not be as bright but I have to put my head right by the bezel to even see a glimmer. The boxes on my dash panel don't have anything in them and I'm wondering if there should be something there to direct the light? Thanks again fo any help.
          Ken
          I had the same issue when I replaced my headlight switch. As you can see by the above picture there are 2 bulbs that cast light to all 4 switches (Ign, lights, wiper and lighter) and there seems to be a sweet spot when you place the green plastic piece in. try loosening the ignition switch and light switch and rotating the plastic piece around, it worked with mine. Also doesn't hurt to go up one bulb strength just for those 2 bulbs.
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢