X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kristin,

The full 1966 wiring diagrams are in the Technical Resource Library. The link is below my signature. They are taken direct from the shop manual and are very easy to follow. As mentioned earlier test your parts first before replacing. This will save you time and money.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Joe Johnston is telling it straight...
      Most of your questions are already covered in the Shop Manual which includes illustrations.

If you have questions that may be vague in the manual, we're here to clarify them with more in-depth answers. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tinkergirl
        • Oct 18 2016

as soon as I can

As soon as I can I will do all the steps and explain everything that is not working.
        No I did not have a copy of the manual until I just went to the link now I have it kept close at all times.
        One thing I can tell you is that the headlights do not at all come on. The parking lights flash on for a mere second and then turn off.
        The silinoid I had tested at a local shop and it was bad. It was since not used or driven since 1984. But it is still not starting up so we are going to work on the started as well as the alternator. From there do each one one by one I am going to see which one the main problem is. Crossing my fingers that it is only the alternator since of the 2 items it is actually the cheapest brand new.
        I am trying to keep as much as the original parts in the vehicle as I can.
        And please know that I may not seem like I am listening to all your advice I am but I am already kinda mind set on replacing certain items. This vehicle is a work in progress and I will post pics of her once she is all done. And thank you everyone for all of the advice as well as things that I need to do.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you do need to replace the starter and/or alternator check Rockauto.com. They have the cheapest prices and we get a 5% discount. They show a starter for $20 with a $14 core charge and an alternator for about the same price.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Quick Question

Kristin, as John said, Rock Auto gives us a 5% discount on online orders. To get the discount number, and contact info for Rock Auto go to the Advertisements Forum, and look them up. You will find the discount number there. I would recommend that you print out all the 1966 Wiring Diagrams from the Technical Resource Library and go over them. Start checking the wiring diagram against the actual wiring you are finding. You may find that a previous owner has done some re-wiring that might be causing the problems. Or, in checking the wiring, you might find some bad ground connections that can be corrected that might fix the problems.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Since most components on your car are 12-volts DC, I suggest you buy a "12-V Test Light". Don't buy a neon or LED light, get one with a plain incandescent bulb.

The easiest (and most practical) place to start is with your Headlights. BTW, many times one bad connection or grounded wire will cause all your other problems.

Pull up the carpet so your High Beam Switch is exposed and check for voltage at; one power wire coming in from the Headlight Switch, then both low and high beam wires going out to the Headlights.

If no voltage, go back to the Headlight Switch. If still no voltage, follow your wiring diagram back to the feed for the Headlight Sw., and so on. We normally start at the end (headlights in this case) and work toward the voltage source.

Listen and watch. Feel the wires for any heat. In other words, good troubleshooting uses all your senses. If you need help troubleshooting, we're here to help but you need to do the actual work. This stuff is very rewarding when you get it right and things start working.

I have seen many new parts that are sub-standard or they simply don't work. Do not throw any replaced parts out until after your problems are solved. Take lots of pictures as you go. They can always bring you back to, 'the way it was before changes'. They also give us a visual of what you mean. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tinkergirl
                • Oct 18 2016

HI!

Just as an update I have not been ignoring anyone or not wanting to be online but since moving and having family come all of the time I havent been able to see a computer let alone my '66 in a while. Too boot I have been incredibly sick so I have been stuck inside in my bed babying soup. As soon as I am able to get back to working on my vehicle I will post updates on what has been needed to repair and what has been fine.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Quick Question

Kristen, between company and being pretty ill, I see it has kept you away from working on the Bird. I certainly hope you get well quickly and back to working on her again soon. Thanks for the update, and get well soon!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tinkergirl
                    Just as an update I have not been ignoring anyone or not wanting to be online but since moving and having family come all of the time I havent been able to see a computer let alone my '66 in a while. Too boot I have been incredibly sick so I have been stuck inside in my bed babying soup. As soon as I am able to get back to working on my vehicle I will post updates on what has been needed to repair and what has been fine.
                    Crikey, you're not having much luck Thunderbird-wise! (well as far as being able to spend time on it goes)

Hopefully things will improve with your health - and soon.
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Kristin, your health is far more important than an old car. Cold weather is here and car work can wait until you're better in springtime. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎