X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Door glass replacement

I just got a nice new piece of glass for my passenger door and removed the trim from the old broken glass. Now the question is, what do I use to replace the rubber that the trim slides over?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I assume you're talking about the rubber 'bed' that the glass sits in. The proper answer is, our vendors sell a product that fits inside the channel. Here's a link to Mac's but they aren't the only ones who stock this part:

MY solution is different because I'm cheap. I mean, frugal. First, I make sure the channel isn't rusted. If it is, buy new channel. Then I use rubber that resembles inner tube with glue that is used for setting Formica. My original 'rubbers' had an apron that simply hung down on the outside to divert rain water away from the motor and mechanisms. So, I glue the channel, stick the rubber in and immediately insert the glass, all while the glue is slick. I trim the inside edge flush with the channel but I leave about 4" hang down on the outside.

The box stores used to sell a rubber product for making ponds that resembled inner tube. I bought a couple yards and have been eating off of the roll for years. The rubber's thickness cannot be more than 1/16". Oh, and make sure your glass is CLEAN!!! Glue will not stick to grease or oil residue. I use lacquer thinner, NOT paint thinner. Acetone works too. Rub it in and use a dry clean cloth to wipe it off. Do this a few times.

For vent glass, I slowly heat the glass with propane. Eventually, the surrounding butyl rubber will start to melt. Simply pull the glass out in one piece. Clean the channel and set your glass in black urethane. Trim with a razor blade the next day. - Dave

Edit: I see tee-bird.com wants $3.00 and they call it B21478A. Talk with Bill or Ellis and tell them I sent you.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; February 3, 2018, 03:44 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Hazegray53
      Apprentice
      • Jan 9 2015

Well I would need that piece also but I was actually talking about the trim that runs along the top and down the back of the glass. Maybe the inner tube idea will work for that as well. I should have specified before but this is for my Sunliner. Not sure if that makes any difference.
      Last edited by Hazegray53; February 3, 2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Hazegray53
        I just got a nice new piece of glass for my passenger door and removed the trim from the old broken glass. Now the question is, what do I use to replace the rubber that the trim slides over?
        Originally posted by Hazegray53
        Well I would need that piece also but I was actually talking about the trim that runs along the top and down the back of the glass. Maybe the inner tube idea will work for that as well. I should have specified before but this is for my Sunliner. Not sure if that makes any difference.
        Having more information is always better for us but in this case it doesn't matter. The Ford part you want is BA 7621478-C. It is 'cut to fit' and used on all car lines, on the bottom or other areas where metal surrounds the door glass.

I supplied a vendor with very reasonable prices but I also gave a viable alternative. Good luck restoring your classic Ford. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Hazegray53
          Apprentice
          • Jan 9 2015

Thank you once again for all the great info. Now I know what I’m looking for and I think I found a place locally in San Diego that has what I need also.

Comment

• Hazegray53
            Apprentice
            • Jan 9 2015

What do you guys recommend for greasing the roller channel? There seems to be a lot of opinions out there.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Use something that will hang on like a thin coating of white lithium grease. It's more important to lube the roller pins. Again, use white grease.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎