X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoffInCarlsbad
    Experienced
    • Jul 4 2015

Chrome Plating of Trim and Parts

Most of the chrome on my T-Bird is in really good shape, and can be cleaned up with some elbow grease and good polish. However, I do have pitting on the dash parts: Instrument Panel and Bezels, Horn Ring, etc.

I was thinking that instead of replacing these, I could find a local plating shop and have these re-plated instead of having to purchase new materials.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this and what were your results?

Thank you.
    Geoff In Carlsbad
    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Dynamic Custom Chrome - Detroit

By far, the cheapest way to get good chrome is by buying the reproduction because they plate hundreds at the same time.

However... some parts were never popular enough to duplicate so the only option is to re-plate what you have. If this is the case, you better find the best chrome shop you can find because they are all different. This is custom work and real good shops that do 'show chrome' price items accordingly.

Here's three examples, none of these parts were re-popped...
    I own a 1955 Ford Customline. Mainline and Customline were models below the (new for '55) Ford Fairlane. My trunk key bezel is a one-piece die casting that also holds the badge. The Mainline and Customline sold the most in numbers but Fairlane parts were popular with restorers. Consequently, my parts never got reproduced in aftermarket.

I have no choice but to re-chrome this piece that resembles a teenager with bad acne. Click on the picture below for the YouTube video of the work my chrome shop did:

They also did the radio bezel. Remember, '55 Ford radios were unique to that year alone. The car was six-volt, POSITIVE ground.

Also, here's the hood airplane.
    - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by GeoffInCarlsbad
      Most of the chrome on my T-Bird is in really good shape, and can be cleaned up with some elbow grease and good polish. However, I do have pitting on the dash parts: Instrument Panel and Bezels, Horn Ring, etc.

I was thinking that instead of replacing these, I could find a local plating shop and have these re-plated instead of having to purchase new materials.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this and what were your results?

Thank you.
      Try cleaning with coke and a blue scotch brite pad first.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
        Experienced
        • Jul 4 2015

Coke as in Coca Cola?

Originally posted by Yadkin
        Try cleaning with coke and a blue scotch brite pad first.
        You mean coke as in coca cola?
        Geoff In Carlsbad
        1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by GeoffInCarlsbad
          You mean coke as in coca cola?
          Yes. It has phosphoric acid, a weak acid that which will dissolve the pits in the chrome. Phosphoric is also available in concentrated form, and is superior, but you have to be very careful of you will dissolve more of the metal than you want to. Always rinse thoroughly.

Diet Coke also has this ingredient and won't leave a sticky residue.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Phosphoric acid is sold at ACE Hardware in two forms:
            (1) OSPHO:

Try a qt. I'm sure you will love it. The gallon size is a better deal.

(2) MUST FOR RUST, RUST REMOVER.

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Navel Jelly and many rust removers. A weaker solution is found in CLR. With all acids you should wear goggles, gloves, and have a garden hose close by.

It's important you keep the part wet with this acid. Agitate it often. It will NOT eat through good steel but it will remove oxide (rust). - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎