• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cuul59
    Apprentice
    • Jun 13 2005

Power Steering Control Valve Leaks

Hello Birders!
    I hope someone can provide me with guidance. About three years ago I replaced the control valve assembly on my '59 because it was leaking on the spring (outside) end and was just tired. Just recently the replacement control valve began a small leak on the inside end.

So I bought a rebuild kit from one of the T-Bird houses and In disassembling the control valve to install the new seal, I noticed one of the seals looked very different than the one I removed. I have a couple pictures of the one I removed, but don't know how to attach them to this post.

When I installed the seals that came with my rebuild kit, it now leaks considerably on the spring end. I don’t know if I just have the wrong seal kit or if I need to have you rebuild the valve. I’m now wondering if I need a different kit, possibly this rebuilt kit was for a different year or model.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone sell just rebuilt valves (I don’t need the balls stud sleeve as it almost new)?

Thanks in advance!

Neil
    CUUL59
    Neil
    1959 Turquoise Convertible “CUUL59”
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most of the rebuild kits sold by the Thunderbird vendors come with three seals. One is for a 1958 Thunderbird and is not used on a '59 or '60. If you want you can email me the picture and I can post it for you. It's very important that you install the seals correctly. The open end of the seal must go toward the inside of the spool.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎