X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Christchurch NZ Hit by 7.8 Earthquake!

The Land Of The Long White Cloud has been hit by a massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake today, in the Christchurch area. It has caused considerable damage, and a tidal wave of about 3 meters has hit the country so far. We have three Tbird owners on the Forum that live in that area of the country. We hope that they have survived the damage. Check the Drudge Report, and other news sources to see pictures of the damage caused by this huge earthquake. Those of you who have been effected by this please let us know how you are when you can.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Our thoughts and prayers are with all at this time.It is hoped that all will get to higher ground and be safe until this disaster resides.
    Last edited by Dan Leavens; November 13, 2016, 10:21 AM.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Well after a run of night-shift I got to bed after midnight and slept like a log and never felt a thing!
      But down here in Otago province we were not affected at all, there have been one or two people in Otago that claim to have felt the earthquake but it was so minor and no damage reported - and no death or injury.

Hopefully other Kiwi Thunderbirder fared the same and will report in.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
        Well after a run of night-shift I got to bed after midnight and slept like a log and never felt a thing!
        But down here in Otago province we were not affected at all, there have been one or two people in Otago that claim to have felt the earthquake but it was so minor and no damage reported - and no death or injury.

Hopefully other Kiwi Thunderbirder fared the same and will report in.
        7.8 and two people felt it??? How can that be possible?
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Tom glad to hear that you and others are okay in your area. Let's hope that others report no injuries or fatalities as well. That was massive as Dave states 7.8
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

Tom probably didn't feel it, as Balcklutha where he's from is a couple of hundred miles away. Last I heard 2 people confirmed dead.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by bird 60
              Tom probably didn't feel it, as Balcklutha where he's from is a couple of hundred miles away. Last I heard 2 people confirmed dead.

Chris.....From OZ.
              Dead right Chris.

And a trucker has not been heard of since the time of the 'quake, possibly under one of the massive landslides up in Kaikoura area, about 7-8 hours from here..

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Thank God your loses were minimal. When I hear about 7.8 it brings my mind back to San Francisco.

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake struck the coast of Northern California at 5:12 a.m. on April 18 with an estimated moment magnitude of 7.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI (Extreme).

I realize you don't have the population in NZ but this intensity leveled nearly everything, set the building on fire and starved the survivors of drinking water and food. It was one of the worst the USA has ever had.

Click on the picture:

Any 7.8 that results in a death toll of three is a miracle. - Dave

EDIT...
                This picture interests me a lot because the steel structures did well but all the bricks and cement are on the ground:
                Last edited by simplyconnected; November 14, 2016, 12:15 PM.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by scumdog
                  Dead right Chris.

And a trucker has not been heard of since the time of the 'quake, possibly under one of the massive landslides up in Kaikoura area, about 7-8 hours from here..
                  Update: the trucker has been found, he and his rig were trapped on a section of road blocked by landslips on front of him and behind him and in an area devoid of cell phone coverage, there are many areas of New Zealand that you're still not fully covered by cell phone.
                  Also one death was actually a medical event possibly triggered by the trauma of the earthquake.
                  Luckily the epicentre was in an area of very low population.

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Tom great news and we are all praying the losses of life are few from this disaster. We can only imagine how lives have changed as the rebuilding of homes and lives start to unfold for many families.
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍