This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Understood, was mostly referring to a "correct" wedged piston 430 vs a 550 cube engine (no matter what piston was in it).

I would not care if it made 300 HP, just the massive low end torque of 550 cubes would be more fun than 500 HP.

Anyway, great conversation, but I'm going to check my timing/distr/chain before we go straight to the $6000 stroker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
A 'stroker' is not 'factory correct' but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Be very cautious with factory designs of the day because they were designed for liquids that are no longer available. That makes a '100% factory correct' engine useless for today's common service.

93-octane gasohol HAS the power to produce 500-HP. It's in there but your engine must unleash it. EPA and CAFE standards of the day forced Ford to DE-tune 460s. For example, factory 460 engines have their cam advanced 15 degrees. By correcting this simple cam/crank timing, the 460 goes from being a real 'dog' to waking up with new-found ponies, using the exact same timing set and burning the same fuel.

ANY engine designed to run gasoline must be altered if you burn gasohol (pump gas). That means serious head work, including stainless valves and hardened exhaust valve seats, regardless of compression ratios, piston design or quench. I did it with my 'Y' and you can do it with your MEL but both engines end up still being cast iron with lots of investment but very little resale value. A used set of aluminum heads (like for an FE) fetch a grand IF you can find a set. - Dave
Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

I hardly think the "Y" block was, or should be historical (as far as engine designs are concerned) considered riddled with many flaws; although it was limited by the intentions and technology of the period, which may appear as flawed, latter in time; nor was it replaced by the FE.

I believe the"Y" block did replace the Flathead, and therefor was constructed, and limited by such engineering, to fill the 250-300 cubic inch realm. But Ford also needed an engine in the 350-400 cubic inch range, hence introduction of the FE; both engines being available, sometimes concurrently, where applicable, based on capacities (police cars wanting for more capacity got FE's), and option values.

The MEL series production volumes were obviously limited due to its' intended realm, 400+ cubic inch applications, such as big expensive "land yachts" of Mercury, Edsel and Lincoln, and was not available to Ford buyers (except T-Birds). This was obviously is a much smaller market segment than less than 400 cubic inch market. Therefore just comparing production volumes, or the fact that the FE linage has had many variations, may lead to false conclusions (again: just because it's popular, doesn't make it right or "superior").

As far as Holman & Moody (and others) are concerned, they went were the money was; and as I said previously, Ford felt the investment in racing was better spent on Ford brand vehicles vs. Mercury or Lincoln name plates, hence the FE 390HP, 406 and 427 (in it's many incarnations).

BTW, the top of the deck is perhaps slopped, but the pistons still travel square (relatively) in the bore (just like the SBF); any appropriate (for the piston) ring dimension can be used with corresponding results.

Scott.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbf777 View Post
I hardly think the "Y" block was, or should be historical (as far as engine designs are concerned) considered riddled with many flaws; although it was limited by the intentions and technology of the period, which may appear as flawed, latter in time; nor was it replaced by the FE.
Really? Ford's first overhead valve engine wasn't historic? By definition, the FE IS a re-engineered Y-Block. None of the parts interchange between both engines so yes, the FE quickly replaced the 'Y' and Ford did NO further developments to the 'Y' past the 312 version. Scott, you need to do a bit more research.

Ford dropped the 239 and 256 'Ys' early. The 272, 292, 312 didn't last long in Ford Cars either (by comparison to FEs). Classic T-Birds lived during a huge engineering transitional period at Ford. Thunderbird only used Y-Blocks for their first three years. The '55 'Bird had a six-volt Positive Ground system. The '56 'Bird was 12 volt neg gnd and the gauges were also 12-volt. '57 'Birds were the first to use CVRs with six-volt gauges. This was the only car Ford offered a supercharger in a Y-Block. "The FE was introduced to replace the short-lived Ford Y-block engine, which American cars and trucks were outgrowing." Early FE offerings that resembled solid lifter 'Y' engines were quickly dropped or revamped like the 332 and 352. Even so, FE engines had a long run from 1958-1976. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca