X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djweaz
    Experienced
    • Apr 14 2016

Heater valve/Heater core

Installing a new heater core in my 59 this morning. It is different than the original one, the heater valve isn't attached like the original one, saying it was difficult to service so it was adapted into 2 separate pieces. Does anybody have a picture of one installed? Reading the notes to me is saying to install the heater valve outside of the cabin on the opposite side of the firewall putting the heater valve directly into the hose then a section of hose to the heater core. That is if I am reading it right.
    I started this job a few months back and had to stop for health reasons. I am replacing the hoses now. But am wondering which one goes from the water pump to the top or bottom line and the intake hose. I had only planned on it being apart for a day or so. Does anybody know which goes to which?
    Thanks Rob
    Rob
    1959 Thunderbird J-Code
    Tbird registry
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The valve goes on the bottom hose. The instructions are correct. Put a small length of hose from the heater core to the valve. The original cable just reaches the external valve but you have to drill a hole in the firewall as you can see by the picture of one I installed.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

There are 'truths' involved with heater hoses, that apply to all cars:
      • If the valve is anywhere in the hose, it will stop flow. This is also applies when switching electricity.
      • Heater cores are notorious for holding a bubble of air. If you feed the bottom of your heater core, all the air will come out the top, first.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Djweaz
        Experienced
        • Apr 14 2016

I don't understand the Truths. My water pump is to the top of the heater core and the spot on the intake is on the bottom. Is that the correct placement?

Isn't that what the instructions are telling me to put the heater valve to like Johns picture? I though that is what the instructions were telling me to do like in his picture.

In between that I have been fighting with my passenger door handle trying to adjust it. I see it pushing the mechanism when pushing the button, but it's not releasing the door while pushing the button as it would normally.

My youngest daughter want to have her senior pictures take. ith it. After I finish these 2 goals I have to call the people that Mfg the electric wiper switch as far as I see where the holes line up to attach it to the wiper mechanism it doesn't line up to the existing bolts from the original vacuum mechanism.
        Rob
        1959 Thunderbird J-Code
        Tbird registry

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the top hose on the heater core goes to the water pump.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Djweaz
            Experienced
            • Apr 14 2016

Thanks I thought it was. I had a shut off to block that since I got the car. Someone told me I should never block the fluid off entirely that if it was going to stopped to put a hose connector in and let it circulate.
            Rob
            1959 Thunderbird J-Code
            Tbird registry

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
              There are 'truths' involved with heater hoses, that apply to all cars:
              • If the valve is anywhere in the hose, it will stop flow. This is also applies when switching electricity.
              • Heater cores are notorious for holding a bubble of air. If you feed the bottom of your heater core, all the air will come out the top, first.
              Originally posted by Djweaz
              I don't understand the Truths. My water pump is to the top of the heater core and the spot on the intake is on the bottom. Is that the correct placement?..
              It helps to understand this as well:
              Nearly all water pumps intake COLD coolant, then they force it into the engine.

HOT coolant exits the thermostat (next to your heater hose which is also hot coolant). So, main engine heat continues to the radiator while heater hose heat goes to the bottom of the heater core. This is the feed for the heater.

This is still in keeping with my original TRUTHS. Yes, you can pinch-off your heater hose (just like the valve does) and coolant will stop flowing heat into your heater core. Your cooling system will continue working just fine.

Sorry if the TRUTHS confuse you. They are meant to give a better understanding of how and why the systems work. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎