X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad R
    • Sep 2 2011

edelbrock 390

Hi there
    I have a 64 T Bird 390 running the standard cast intake with standard carby.
    Locally there is an Edelbrock 390 Streetmaster 3744463 available.
    I have searched everywhere and cannot reassure myself that it will fit and if the benefits will be worth the installation.
    Thoughts?
    64 Coral Bird Down under
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Are you sure this isn't a patent number? (Sounds like something for a small block chevy, but I'm not sure.)

Regardless. I know you have to jump when opportunity knocks.

Have you thought about aluminum heads? That's where you get the most advantage and bang for your buck. With aluminum heads, you can safely raise your compression ratio and gain lots of HP because the aluminum transfers heat so much faster than cast iron. There's also a huge weight advantage. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Brad R
      • Sep 2 2011

Intake

I'm in Australia so the Thunderbird market is extremely limited. No direct import of T Birds in the day means no second hand parts and postage out of the US is extremely high.
      I like the idea of the alloy intake to give the old girl a weight loss programme on the front end.
      The alloy heads are something else to look for over the years.
      My issue with the edelbrock intake is more about what mods i would need to make to fit the streetmaster.
      Any help appreciated.
      64 Coral Bird Down under

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Edelbrock makes quality intake manifolds for your FE engine. The aluminum Performer RPM model currently in production is:

If you need information on any of their products contact the company via their web site. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Brad R
          I'm in Australia so the Thunderbird market is extremely limited. No direct import of T Birds in the day means no second hand parts and postage out of the US is extremely high.
          I like the idea of the alloy intake to give the old girl a weight loss programme on the front end.
          The alloy heads are something else to look for over the years.
          My issue with the edelbrock intake is more about what mods i would need to make to fit the streetmaster.
          Any help appreciated.
          It will physically bolt on and will improve the engines performance and is obviously about 15kg lighter!

The big issue is how high the carb sits - T-birds don't have much hood-to-carb clearance with a factory manifold so that is the one crucial factor to consider.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Brad R
            ...I have searched everywhere and cannot reassure myself that it will fit...
            Scumdog, are you sure this manifold is for the 390, and will it fit?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
              Scumdog, are you sure this manifold is for the 390, and will it fit?
              Yep, Edelbrock made the Streetmaster for a variety of motors including the Ford FE series, but I'm not sure if they still do - I guess I could look them up.

But anyway, as I said it will physically bolt onto the Thunderbird motor however as we all know the carb on those cars is right up under the hood - and the motor sits almost 'nose-down' compared to most other cars so the Edelbrock MAY cause the carb to be too high for the hood to be shut once the air-filter is back on.

Having said that, the Streetmaster series was not a 'race' type manifold (probably good from idle-to-4,000rpm or so) hence it might not be as hi-rise as some other aftermarket manifolds...

Comment

That must be an older model. Can't find streetmaster in their catalog.

Comment

• Brad R
                  • Sep 2 2011

Edelbrock issue

Thanks guys
                  I guess the height of the carby will be the issue. I'll get onto Edelbrock one night. Have to ring because I can't find a email address for them. Bugger!
                  64 Coral Bird Down under

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

edelbrock 390

Hi Brad,

I did some research through the literature of my Edelbrock 1406 Carb and their website. The only email address I could find was listed on the Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetors Installation Instructions. The email address listed is: Edelbrock@Edelbrock.com Try that with a Subject line directing it to the appropriate division you wish to contact. Hopefully, they will get it and that will save you a phone call. Their Technical Hotline is 800-416-8628. I hope this helps you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Brad R
                      • Sep 2 2011

Sorted

Thanks guys
                      Decided to grab it while it was going. Edelbrock team believe it is the right one.
                      Brad
                      64 Samoan Coral Landau
                      64 Coral Bird Down under

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Edelbrock teams should know their products...

I have one question for Penelope:
                        What is this?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                          Edelbrock teams should know their products...

I have one question for Penelope:
                          What is this?
                          Ah, it's a N.Z. thing and Penelope is in Aussie - have you never seen Maori doing a Haka before Dave! Hehehe..

Quite spectacular eh? - just about any Maori with any pride in his hertitage can perform a Haka.

Used prior to confrontation and now performed by our national rugby football team, the All Blacks, prior to playing a game while facing their opposition.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Oops... I meant for the question to go to you, Scumdog. I'm old... had your name in my head but wrote Penelope. Glad you caught it, mate. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎