Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Yes, they are. I put a 6 blade flex fan on and changed the spacers to get it positioned properly in the shroud. It appears to pull more air at idle.
    Nyles

Comment

• Woobie
      Experienced
      • Apr 1 2016

I'll have to publicly commend your perseverance at ticking all the boxes to get those temps down.
      Austin

Comment

• BEVS BIRD
        Apprentice
        • Sep 30 2016

Idle Jets

HI NYLES AFTER TIMING IS SET... IDLE JET INITIAL SETTING....quick set your ldle jets on WARM ENG.......with eng OFF gently turn both screws in to FULL CLOSED...now OPEN out 1 1/2 turns...start eng AND SET IDLE RPM...now turn screws INWARD til eng JUST STARTS TO STUMBLE...now.... from the stumble point..... OPEN...yes OPEN SCREWS 1/2 TURN..DOUBLE CHECK TIMING/Vac AND IDLE RPM.... this will put you in the best operating range almost every time...double check with vac guage if you have one....this will almost evry time give you the best vac reading..and eng performance..I can only suggest this from my experience on many types of single 4 bbl carb perf engines...of course...every one has their own best experience on this subject....CHEERS TERRY

Comment

• Woobie
          Experienced
          • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          I want to shed a few 'truths' on this subject.
          Pick an engine... Let's say it's a 390 just for example. Ford put the 390 in heavy cars, trucks, marine, construction equipment, industrial generators, etc.
          Dave

FYI

The 427 was the FE used in marine applications at 300 horsepower. A few owners have reported that a pair of 427 sideoilers were thrown into the mix too. Continuing with the Ford V-8, the Y-Block was used with side draft carburetors, the 430 and 431 Lincoln, a few 534 Seamasters some applications with twin turbos, and the 302 and 351 in hundreds of applications, most notably Mastercraft and Correct Craft among others. Of course all the hardware and bolt-ons for the 427 would fit the much cheaper and widely available 390 for a custom build or repower.
          Austin

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

That is pretty much what I do with the idle adjustment screws. I start with a balanced adjustment on both screws and then slowly lean out the mixture until I can tell a small decrease in engine RPM. I then typically open them about 1/2 turn to richen the mixture. On this car I might increase the this a small amount due to the temperature problems at idle. Figure a little richer mixture is better than running lean.
            Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's also important to do the adjustments with the air cleaner in place.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• pbf777
                Experienced
                • Jan 9 2016

You may also what to establish the total mechanical advance timing value @ R.P.M.'s, and separately the total vacuum advance value?

Scott.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎