X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by fordrodsteven
    Thank you! What about any treatment of the metal to protect it? Is the epoxy primer the thing that does the trick?
    I'm not sure, and I know that I've left out several steps. I just wanted you to know that methods have changed, so looking through old layers may be interesting from a historical perspective, but not much help on how to go about it today. Also, chemical compatibility between steps is very important.

Comment

• fordrodsteven
      • Sep 24 2016

Originally posted by Yadkin
      I'm not sure, and I know that I've left out several steps. I just wanted you to know that methods have changed, so looking through old layers may be interesting from a historical perspective, but not much help on how to go about it today. Also, chemical compatibility between steps is very important.
      Yes I agree. That is my plan. I thought about buying rust retarding materials from Eastwood but then I worry about compatibility. I might just go to the local Auto body supply company and work with their recommendations. That way If I have any questions I can do show and tell with them. I still have some work to do replacing rusted out areas. I will have to get something to put on the metal to stop surface rusting. Of course I will have to wait until it warms up enough because my garage is not heated.
      Steve
      1955 Thunderbird project in process
      Tee-bird registry # 63034
      CTCI member #37081

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

'Body Shop' metal is filthy, with draw compound oil, hand prints, weld flash, etc.

Ford cars are treated with phosphate to etch and clean steel frames and body assemblies. Phosphate also leaves a black-ish film which protects it for a short time (especially here in the rust belt). Because of the phosphate process Ford never paints on bare steel because paint is porous. That's why some aftermarket paint jobs rust sooner. Ford then used a red (almost rust color) primer before the top coat. Our ovens are set to 250°F. That is far too hot for any plastic, vinyl or soft materials but it does a great job of curing paint in a hurry.

As soon as the car comes out of 'Paint' it goes to 'Trim' for wire harnesses, headliners, glass, carpeting, moldings & windlace. Trim also inserts the dash and console, lights, connects wiring and troubleshoots any faulty electrical. Then, on to 'Chassis' where the engine and trans are assembled to the rear axle. The Final Line decks the body onto the chassis, installs the front suspension and brake assemblies, steering wheel and tie rods, exhaust system, fuel tank, fuel and brake lines, radiators, wheels, seats, tires, battery and fills all the liquids.
        The 'Drive-away Garage" adjusts suspension with the steering wheel, aims headlights, runs the driveline to 60-MPH, leak tests all the interior and repairs any damage (especially to the paint). At the back door, a Security Guard weighs each wheel and he checks the options against the build sheet. If ok, he slaps the window sticker on then Ford hands the car over to the transportation company who then assumes all responsibility for the car including damage or lost parts until it safely arrives at the dealership.

I skimmed over many subassembly lines like 'Dashboard Build', engine and trans build, tire and wheel combinations, axle build (with different springs and ratios), seat build combinations, etc. Everything must meet the Build Sheet spec's. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• fordrodsteven
          • Sep 24 2016

Thank you. The phosphate is what I am seeing and questioning. You have helped me greatly!
          Steve
          CTCI member #37081

Comment

• fordrodsteven
            • Sep 24 2016

I have been working on the car a little whenever I get a chance. Along with a few other projects. Any way I have been chemically stripping the paint to get to bare metal then shooting a primer to help stop from forming any rust until I get further along. The car is half done. I also found a couple spots rusted through on the frame so I have purchased a nice '56 frame to replace my rusted '55 frame. I don't have the pictures of the frames at this time I will post them later.
            The front bumper is on the car because I have to straighten it on the drivers side corner.
            Attached Files
            Steve
            CTCI member #37081

Comment

• fordrodsteven
              • Sep 24 2016

Hi, I'm still working on the car (although not as fast as I had hoped). I have been stripping the paint to bare metal and then priming to get ready to lift the body off. There's still a couple areas of rusted metal that I want to fix before the body off. I don't like the idiot lights in dash and I don't want to have gauges hanging down under the dash. I also decided I don't really need a tachometer (I don't intend to do any high revs) or the clock (the radio will have a clock). I am attaching pics of my concept. As I get it going I'll post pics showing how I do it.
              Attached Files
              Steve
              CTCI member #37081

Comment

• fordrodsteven
                • Sep 24 2016

Steve's modified '55

I can see it's been almost a year since I've added to this post. We currently have no natural gas due to a recent "accident" in the greater Lawrence, MA area. We've been told we will not have gas back until at least the middle of November. I sort of stopped working on the car the last few weeks. I need to start preparing for winter and figure out an alternative to heat my home should the gas company not be able to meet their projected mid-November date.
                Anyway. The body is off the frame and I worked on floor repairs. I also melted out all the lead at the body seams / joints. I found some poorly done repairs which then has almost 1/2" of lead applied over them. I found the metal rusted and missing under the lead in a few spots. My next step will be to start repairing those areas. I might have to try to figure out a way to get a little heat in the garage so I can still do something to it during the winter months. I'll attach a few pics here now.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by YellowRose; October 2, 2018, 02:09 PM. Reason: At Steve's Request
                Steve
                CTCI member #37081

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

We've been told we will not have gas back until at least the middle of November. I sort of stopped working on the car the last few weeks. I need to start preparing for winter and figure out an alternative to heat my home should the gas company not be able to meet their projected mid-November date.

Steve it is hoped that the gas problem is solved soon
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• fordrodsteven
                    • Sep 24 2016

Steve it is hoped that the gas problem is solved soon[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dan, My house is 85 years old. The heat, hot water, stove and clothes dryer are all natural gas appliances. The 100 amp electric service panel is pretty full from previous owners just adding circuits and just running more wires throughout the house. I cannot convert anything to electric without first making good judgement assessment as to whether I would cause any overloading of circuits. Columbia Gas says they'll have me (and all my neighbors) back on-line by November 19th. As long as it doesn't get too cold I think we (my wife and I) can make it okay.
                    Steve
                    CTCI member #37081

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍