X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpetska
    Apprentice
    • Feb 15 2013

windlace

I was looking thru the vendor catalogs and notice two types of windlace. Cloth and vinyl. Which type is prefered? Is one easier to install than the other?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You want the cloth windlace for your '60. I recommend getting the windlace that has the kraft paper like the original. It's held in place by clips. You need to remove the rear arm rest and quarter trim panel to install it in the back. As for the front you need to remove the kick panel, metal trim and the dogleg trim piece. It's put on at the factory before the dash pad is put in so you need to tuck it between the dash pad and the body. You may need to use some trim adhesive to keep it in place since you will have no access to the clips.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• orwin
      1960 Tbird
      • Jun 17 2008

Windlace

Hello - My 60 original windlace was VINYL, not cloth. The cloth repros are the right size and shape (1/2" foam core). However the cloth isn't like OEM ford. I have run into this same issue on my 59 retractible. Is there any source for the OEM type windlace?

Thanks - John
      John Orwin
      1960 HT 430
      VTCI #11290
      Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• del
        Retired Expert Enthusiast
        • May 11 2010

windlace replacement old vs new

Hi - John - I replaced the original windlace in my 60 4 years ago. I can't remember for sure which vendor I used, but there was a pretty big difference between the original and the replacement when I got it. Original on the right. Note the tail of foam at 2 Oclock on the original. Totally absent on the repro. That tail helps the clips hold. Slightly less diameter on the core piece on repro. The fabric is totally different and prone to catch on the repro. Look at the weave on the right. After 55+ years still a clean cut. On the left...not so much. Hope yours is way better!
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Don Vincent
        Amherst NY
        1960 HT 352
        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

You have to look at the color samples and then ask if it is cloth or vinyl. Some colors are one or the other. Good source is Restoration Specialties in Windber PA.
          Carl

Comment

• orwin
            1960 Tbird
            • Jun 17 2008

Hi Del - your experience was exactly the same as mine about 10 years ago with 59. Cloth windlace was junk. The threads were so delicate that it wore very easily and snagged on clothing. I will try the suppliers suggested.

Thanks - John
            John Orwin
            1960 HT 430
            VTCI #11290
            Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Longevity depends on two major properties. The material must be ultra-violet resistant material. Next comes durability.

I have sewn my own quite successfully. The materials I used were 'marine grade' polyester (like Sunbrella boat cover material) and sewn with heavy polyester thread. Boat covers are made to withstand years in direct sunlight and harsh winds. The round stock inside comes in many different diameters as well. That stuff you get from aftermarket is cheap and comes from Taiwan.

When you sew your own, your imagination is the limit. Real leather, faux leather, automotive seat materials and marine vinyls are choices as well. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎