X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vernz
    Experienced
    • Jul 12 2008

Source for fuel pump or rebuild kit

On my way to get the required annual inspection my 59 bird with 430 died and would not restart. looks like a fuel supply issue. It died only 0.1 miles from the mechanics shop. If it turns out to be a bad fuel pump can someone direct me to the best source for a rebuilt fuel pump or a rebuild kit that I can install. Hopefully it is a clogged filter or pickup in the tank instead of the pump, but I want to be prepared to move quickly if it is the pump. Of course this happened while I have the car up for sale and, in fact, I got a call about the car while it was being delivered to the shop. Seems to be my luck of late. I had my parents house up for sale in April and the furnace died and had to be replaced.

Thanks, Vern
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Rockauto.com has two listed. An Airtex and a Carter. Look under 1960 Thunderbird 430. For some reason it's not listed under 1959 but it's the same pump.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Is the more expensive of the two particularly "better"? I may need to get one of these myself.

Originally posted by jopizz
      Rockauto.com has two listed. An Airtex and a Carter. Look under 1960 Thunderbird 430. For some reason it's not listed under 1959 but it's the same pump.

John

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You don't have a 430 engine. You have a 352. That uses a different pump.

John

Comment

• vernz
          Experienced
          • Jul 12 2008

Thanks!! Do you know if that pump has what I need for vacuum? I'm still running vacuum wipers. I rebuilt them and they work great.

Vern

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

430 engines don't use the fuel pump to generate vacuum.

John

Comment

• partsetal
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 4 2005

The pumps shown on Rock Auto will work but the inlet and outlet ports will require modifications to your inlet and outlet steel lines. The pumps shown as Carter and Airtex are both Airtex types and will fit and pump fuel on the 430. The correct 430 fuel pump has the inlet port at 9 o'clock and the outlet port at 6 o'clock (pointing to the carb). Both Carter and Airtex supplied pumps to Ford for the 430. The Carter is harder to rebuild and the Airtex is more basic. If you need a rebuild kit for the Airtex, contact me.
              Carl

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Good catch on that. I hadn't noticed the inlet and outlets. I knew the part numbers didn't sound right. It should be a 4441 for the Airtex type and an M3040S for the Carter. I guess that's why they supply all the different adapters.

John

Comment

• vernz
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 12 2008

Thank you John and Carl, first for straightening me out on the vacuum issue (not a 430 problem) and secondly for the fuel pump leads. I would be interested in the rebuilt kit if I have a airtex pump. I looked at my '60 430 but don't see a manufacturer name on any area that I can see. Is there an obvious difference for me to look for? When I bought my '60 it came with a spare fuel pump that is marked "AC" on the top. I don't know if it is a bad one that was replaced of it it is a good one. I'll take it over to the repair shop for them to try if needed.

Vern

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most times the manufacturer or part number is etched into the mounting flange. It's not always visible unless you take it off.

John

Comment

• vernz
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 12 2008

I went over and looked at the pump in my '59. It has a "C" in a circle on top of it. If I was a guessing man I'd say it might be a

Carter. Mechanic told me he got 3 pounds of vacuum on the pump and the spec is above 4. The car did the same thing to him. Started when he put fuel in the carb, then died when he drove it a bit to get it into his shop. I wonder if it could be something as simple as a clogged vent on the gas cap?

Vern

Comment

• orwin
                        1960 Tbird
                        • Jun 17 2008

430 Fuel pump rebuild kit

Hello,

I just went through a similar problem. I went through 2 bad fuel pumps on my 430. The replacements, e.g. Rock Auto, don't have the inlet and outlet in the right location.

"Then and Now Automotive" has rebuild kits. They were very nice and worked with me on the phone since my old pump didn't have any identifying markings. The rebuild kit was only $45, excellent and not too hard to install. If you get in trouble they will help on the phone.

John
                        John Orwin
                        1960 HT 430
                        VTCI #11290
                        Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡