This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

KENN said:
Quote:
I Turned The Canceling Cam So The Open End Is Facing The Switch
Okay, my C-Clip open end faces the lever. Yours is the opposite? Facing the switch on the right?

I guess I can try anything. My right only takes a 1/4 and the left takes a suggestion, a wobble.

Dean
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Apprentice

KENN is on a distinguished road

This Is How I Have Mine Set..kenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0184.JPG (120.9 KB, 72 views)
WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 46 FORD SEDAN STREET ROD TBIRD REGISTRY #61860
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Funny that it works on your car with the cancelling cam opening towards the cancelling mechanism. The open end of the cam will engage to the cancelling pawls, which are then very close to the cam opening. But as long as it works, it should be ok.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Experienced

Voila! I reversed the c-clip cancelling cam 180* with open end facing the switch location on the right.

The left turn cancels with 1/4 turn of the steering wheel left and a bit over 1/2 to cancel the right. I suppose some fine tuning might get it better, but I can live with this. The other way required almost no left turn steering movement to cancel the turn.

What have we learned? Squarebird Forum has some bright guys! I'll bet there are cancelling cams set the other way that work. Thanks everyone!

Dean
Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Notice the two diagrams. One shows the open end facing right and one shows it facing left. It seems even Ford couldn't make up their mind which way was best.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60 steering column.jpg (230.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg steering column-60.jpg (83.0 KB, 63 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Notice the two diagrams. One shows the open end facing right and one shows it facing left. It seems even Ford couldn't make up their mind which way was best.

John
But at least in the text of my 58 manual they state to put it opposite from the cancelling mechanism. Can there be a difference between the years?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
Voila! I reversed the c-clip cancelling cam 180* with open end facing the switch location on the right.

The left turn cancels with 1/4 turn of the steering wheel left and a bit over 1/2 to cancel the right. I suppose some fine tuning might get it better, but I can live with this. The other way required almost no left turn steering movement to cancel the turn.

What have we learned? Squarebird Forum has some bright guys! I'll bet there are cancelling cams set the other way that work. Thanks everyone!

Dean
Dean, does it already cancel while steering left or right, or only when returning to neutral?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Experienced

I found a right turn will cancel a left signal, too. Very convenient.

The signal cancels upon returning to neutral, but before full neutral. Once you hear the click while turning, you know the cancelling has been set.

Now if only I could firm up the lever like the original. The threaded end just the right thickness, and Teflon tape isn't working.

Dean
Old 07-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

1. Center your wheels/steering wheel so the car would be going straight, if it was moving. 2. Now pull your steering wheel and position the C-shaped cancelling cam open end to be facing 9 o'clock.

Also check if your cam has worn grooves from nearly 60 years of use. If this is the case, reposition it to a spot that has no wear. It can also be flipped if needed. I think if the cam is worn down, it does pull the shift pawl far enough all the time.

My turn signals always acted a bit weird until I did this above today. Now they work great. I previously had the open end facing at 3 o'clock; which would seem now ,in my opinion, to be the wrong way.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
1. Center your wheels/steering wheel so the car would be going straight, if it was moving. 2. Now pull your steering wheel and position the C-shaped cancelling cam open end to be facing 9 o'clock.

Also check if your cam has worn grooves from nearly 60 years of use. If this is the case, reposition it to a spot that has no wear. It can also be flipped if needed. I think if the cam is worn down, it does pull the shift pawl far enough all the time.

My turn signals always acted a bit weird until I did this above today. Now they work great. I previously had the open end facing at 3 o'clock; which would seem now ,in my opinion, to be the wrong way.
I removed the steering wheel and got this to work correctly-almost. I reversed the C-clip and everything worked great until...

I installed a new turn signal lever with a very tiny lock washer just like the manual says, at least I think it's the manual. Nothing else will keep the lever from getting loose. Now once in a while the signal won't cancel on a right turn.

Dean