• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lexdownunder
    Apprentice
    • Sep 7 2010

lexdownunder & Combating Prostate Cancer

Hi Fellow TBirders

It's now been just over 12 months since my original post & I'm happy that there has been more than 1900 views to date.

I haven't had many questions or feedback from members but if I may have encouraged some to at least have the blood test, then I feel pleased that this post has been worthwhile.
    After all, that was the intention of my post, to raise awareness & encourage testing.

This may already be news in U.S.A. but an article appeared in the news here in Australia today.
    I felt it appropriate to post the article in this thread as it relates to Ben Stiller & his experience with prostate cancer.

The way he describes it is just so similar to how I described my experience in my original post.

Well worth a read because he also emphasizes the importance of early detection & how he was unaware that there was a problem.

Here is the article from today's Australian news:

Ben Stiller may be known for his comedic talent, but the Zoolander star got serious as he revealed the secret he's been keeping for the last two years.

The actor, 50, was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 48, and because he survived it, he wants to spread the word about the importance of getting tested.

"It came out of the blue for me. I had no idea," Ben said during an interview on Howard Stern's SiriusXM radio show.

"At first, I didn't know what was going to happen," he added. "I was scared. The one thing that it does is it just stops everything in your life when you get diagnosed with cancer because you can't plan for a movie – you don't know what's going to happen."

The comedian had no family history of prostate cancer and no symptoms, but his doctor suspected that Ben might have it after he took a Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test during his annual physical.

His levels were high, and while the doctor wasn't immediately concerned, he tested him again six months later. Ben's PSA had increased even more.

"After the second time, I started to get a little worried," Ben said.

"If I hadn't gotten the test - my doctor started giving it to me at 46 - I still wouldn't know. I wanted to talk about it because of the test, because I feel like the test saved my life.

Following that second round of testing, Ben went through a series of procedures, including an MRI and biopsy, to determine if he had prostate cancer, and he did.

"As my new, world-altering doctor spoke about cell cores and Gleason scores, probabilities of survival, incontinence and impotence, why surgery would be good and what kind would make the most sense, his voice literally faded out like every movie or TV show about a guy being told he had cancer… a classic Walter White moment, except I was me, and no one was filming anything at all," Ben wrote in an essay about his diagnosis for Medium, name-dropping Breaking Bad's cancer-stricken main character.

Six weeks after he was diagnosed with a "mid-range aggressive cancer", Ben had surgery to remove his prostate.

"I was diagnosed on Friday the 13th, then I had until August 23rd to get ready for the surgery. So I just had the summer to hang out and think about it," he said.

Following the surgery, Ben was given another PSA test and all was well. Now, he is encouraging other men to get tested despite PSA critics who claim the controversial test leads to overdiagnosis.

"Without this PSA test itself, or any screening procedure at all, how are doctors going to detect asymptomatic cases like mine, before the cancer has spread and metastasized throughout one's body rendering it incurable?," he wrote in Medium.

"This is a complicated issue, and an evolving one, but in this imperfect world, I believe the best way to determine a course of action for the most treatable yet deadly cancer is to detect it early."

So Guys, if you haven't already done so, please at least have the annual blood test & encourage your friends to do the same.
    It may very well save a life!!!

Take care TBirders
    Lex

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Lex glad to hear all is well. Your post has certainly raised awareness and the importance of testing and early awareness.
      Take care and the 1900 views is a testament in itself to the awareness of prostrate cancer by all.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

After reading your post I did two things, kept you in my prayers and I had another PSA test. So, your post peeked my awareness because cancer is ruthless and early detection can save your life.

Since Jed's post (just below yours), he has passed from cancer. We found out because he didn't answer my phone calls and his answering machine filled to capacity.

If we stand a chance against cancer's many forms we must do as you suggest and get tested on a regular basis. Thanks again for your voice and genuine concern. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lexdownunder
          Apprentice
          • Sep 7 2010

lexdownunder & Combating Prostate Cancer

I was happy that after 12 months there had been 1900 views of my original post.

It's now been almost two years since that post & now it has had more than 6600 views.

I am overjoyed that my post is still being read & hopefully has lead to many fellow TBirders having the annual prostate cancer blood test that could very well save their life through early detection.

Just had my annual blood tests including PSA & it is now more than 9 years since my operation.

Pleased to say my PSA was 0.01 which is the lowest reading possible.
          All other blood tests were normal too.

I haven't had many questions or feedback from members but if I have encouraged some to at least have the blood test, then I feel pleased that this post has been worthwhile.
          After all, that was the intention of my post, to raise awareness & encourage testing.

So Guys, if you haven't already done so, please at least have the annual blood test & encourage your friends to do the same.
          The life you save may very well be your own!!!

Take care TBirders
          Lex

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Lex,

Thank you for reminding us how important it is to have a PSA test as well as a prostate exam each year. I believe it's been about twelve years that I've been having it done. I recommend that all men over fifty be tested annually.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

I've been having my annual & anal check-up every year. So that I don't forget, I have it done around the same week as my birthday.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎