X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Battery Disconnect

+ or - ?? On a 12V negative ground system, which is the preferred terminal to install a battery disconnect switch and why? I have 2 cars, both with disconnects, and one is on the + and the other car the - terminal. Both work with no problems for many years, but is one terminal preferred over the other? Thanks in advance. J
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
    + or - ?? On a 12V negative ground system, which is the preferred terminal to install a battery disconnect switch and why? I have 2 cars, both with disconnects, and one is on the + and the other car the - terminal. Both work with no problems for many years, but is one terminal preferred over the other? Thanks in advance. J
    I have the switch on the - post on my Tbird, I figure disconnect that post means that if anything metal touches the + post it would cause no problem unless it also touches the - post.....or something like that!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

A complete electrical path requires TWO wires. Disconnect either and all flow stops.

Which one needs to be disconnected is purely personal preferences and it makes no difference since the only power source is the battery.

This choice is demonstrated in your power window circuits where the circuit breaker interrupts the motor's neg wire.

House wiring always switches the hot lead because all the plumbing is bonded to earth ground and the neutral wire. So in that case, if the neutral were switched, you may pick it up from different sources (like standing in water) which presents a shock hazard. Not so in a car. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

Thanks for the replies. I could see no real advantage one way or the other, except for convenience or space limitations.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎