Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alteriago
    • Jul 3 2016

Changing Colors

Looking for some opinions on the effect of changing exterior paint color. I just don't like the color of my car. It needs paint but is in good shape otherwise. Some people have told me that I will damage the value while others indicate that it might enhance the value. Are there any guidelines to the value diminution of painting a different color (ie ..10%, 20%)? Does it matter if the new color was issued in the same year? I don't want to change.... but I have to like my car don't I? Isn't a beautiful brunette just as beautiful if she becomes a blonde? Lastly, does changing interior color have a quantifiable effect? Am I way over thinking this? Opinions would sure be appreciated.
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Brad. This topic has been covered many times. Most of us feel that it's your car, therefore do what you want with it if it pleases you. If you're planning on keeping the Bird indefinitely, change the color & enjoy. What color is it now? & what color change is in mind? At times, if the color combo is changed & looks good it can improve the value. How long have you had the Bird?

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Alteriago
      • Jul 3 2016

Hey Chris
      Sorry if this has already been beaten to death - did a search but perhaps used the wrong words. I have a Chantilly Beige 64 Convertible with Black interior. I have had it for more than 20 years and had neither the skill nor the money to do the restoration. I still lack the skill but have some funds to devote to it now. I would like to end up Samoan Coral with a white interior. The question arises as there a Samoan Coral 64 for sale? Wondering if I should buy the new car and sell the old or if I should just remake the old car. I truly have no intention of selling upon completion - but life happens and don't want to make an uninformed decision I may regret later. Appreciate the input.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Brad as Chris stated it is your classic to do what you want but here are a couple of things to consider:
        1) Is the current exterior colour original? Is the current interior original?
        2) If YES then it is an original classic and can be sold as such.
        3) If you are tired of the colour exterior or interior ( which Chantilly Beige was famous on the Mustangs as well with black interior ) then perhaps it is time to sell.

4) You have had it for 20 years. Time to get a new gal of your choice
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

Definitely agree with previous posts - your car so do what it takes to make you happy. These aren't high dollar collector Dusenberg's or Bugatti's demanding perfection, and you should enjoy it. Quality of workmanship is a bigger factor than originality of color in my opinion.

Another thought, if you buy a different car the color of your liking, you will have instant gratification and not have to go through many months of the restoration process. Time is money and these cars should be driven and enjoyed! Best of luck which ever way you go.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your chances of finding a '64 convertible in coral is not very high. I think I've only seen one in over 40 years. If that's the color you want then go ahead and paint it. Just be aware that it's not a color that appeals to everyone so you may be limiting your market if you decide to sell it. However I wouldn't let that stop me if it was my car.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Hi Brad, having your Bird for over 20 years must really mean something to you. If you're happy with it in every way other than the color combo I'd keep it. You obviously know it mechanically inside out, & the money that you have spent on it. What would the cost be there to change color, exterior, interior, & possibly the top? around $8-12 Gs. Here in Australia we'd be looking around twice as much. If it were mine I'd go with Turquoise Blue exterior, & White interior & top. Send us a Pic of your Bird.
              How old are you? just curious.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Samoan Coral is so rare, Thunderbird restorers used to pay high dollar for a Patent Plate with that color code. Those original cars are VERY valuable. They used to comb bone yards just for the Patent Plates, decades ago.

Having said that, I really don't care for the color at all and neither did the original Thunderbird owners. The reason they are so rare is because nobody ordered that ugly color.

Sure, you can paint with any color but what are your expectations? If you think this color will increase the value, it will not unless your Patent Plate and matching VIN numbers support those paint and trim codes. If you love the color, hey, it's your car for YOU to enjoy.

Many of our members have customized their Squarebirds to be what they want, even though it wildly departs from OEM. Even so, their cars are stunningly beautiful (like Ray Clark's car, Yellowrose). - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Alteriago
                  • Jul 3 2016

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the input. Trying to figure out how to post pictures and will do so soon. Sent the bird to NH for repair this weekend and pulled her out of the garage. I took a few snaps before she left.
                  Clearly there is a diversity of opinion on the topic. All of what has been said I agree with except SimplyConnected who offers great history and insight but obviously doesn't know a great color when he sees it. My car is Chantilly beige with probably the original paint - perhaps an over spray on the trunk only. It has black original interior in pretty good shape.
                  Truly, I am not attempting to create value. I happen to just love the look of the T-Bird and always have. I love the lines and I particularly love the Flair Birds. To me they blend the classic traditions of the Square Birds, which I love, with a sleek sophisticated modern look. I have come to the point in life where I can afford a "Muscle Car" but they just don't do it for me. I appreciate the muscular stance of the late 60's Camaro's but I am always drawn back to the T-Birds. Perhaps they will never attain the price level of their later counterparts from GM, but I don't care- shouldn't I like what I drive?
                  In part I suppose that is why I am contemplating a color change. I don't look at the hood of my car and love it. I do look at the color of the Samoan Coral and it makes me happy - but oddly I feel a bit like a traitor for even contemplating the change. I know - it is a car - but as I think Chris from Oz was alluding perhaps am suffering some psychological attachment issues.
                  Really not sure what all will cost me. Figuring paint at 10K chrome and interior another 6k. Am guessing mechanical another 4 to 5K and I may be light with all of that. I suppose the original question stemmed from not wanting to invest $25K and have it be worth $5K because I changed the color. (I know SimplyConnected wouldn't give me $5K if I painted it Samoan Coral)
                  There was a Samoan Coral on ebay this past week and I inquired about it but did not pull the trigger and it seems to be gone now. They were asking $28,900 for it. My choice is now original color or change - it seems the third option was foreclosed. Alas, I suppose my dilemma is a good one to have.
                  Last edited by Alteriago; July 27, 2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• newyear
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 4 2005

I guess you have seen this example

Regards
                    Peter

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

HA! Now Bradford, I got a lot of respect for your choice in colors but I question where it resides.

I didn't make this color rare, people who ordered them did. I don't know but a huge majority bypassed Samoan Coral probably because it looks like Sockeye Salmon...

Ray, here's a picture of the Patent plate for your registry.
                      Before I put down $160K, I would demand to see these VIN numbers on the frame and in a few places. - Dave
                      Attached Files
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Changing Colors

This Tbird is already in the Tbird Registry, as RN #18441 and is very well known in the AACA world. October 2014, Mike Maloney notified the Registry that he owns this Thunderbird. He says: It has been restored to the highest standards in 1994, this car has only seen 5,500 miles since and is still pretty much as it rolled out of the showroom in ’64. It is an AACA Senior Champion and an AACA Grand National 1st Prize in both 1996 and 1998. The recipient of multiple trophies including; Best of Show, Best in Class, First Place, People’s Choice and Best Engine (approximately 60 trophies in total), this car is a key attraction wherever it is shown.

I would expect that during all the past AACA judging events it has gone through, that care has been taken to verify the VIN # against those stamped into the frame. Otherwise, I doubt it would have ever won anything. However, Dave does make a very good suggestion. Any time you buy a classic car and especially one that is sold as being an original, it is always a good idea to find the VIN # stamped into the body or the frame and compare it to the VIN # on the Data Plate...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Alteriago
                          • Jul 3 2016

Hey Simply:
                          Whats wrong with Salmon?? It is good for you!!
                           Yellow Rose is right that is a very known car. I think it was alluded to in an older post about 5 years ago on this site - and I think it sold for around $65K. The current owner has a website called www.imabrd.com He has some great videos there and also on you tube. Yes he is asking 168K but … he is in the land of fruits and nuts… so who knows. And before you go there … No, I don’t think I can paint my car sockeye and sell it for $168K. I just really love the color and the wide whites with the wires. So sweet.
                          Interestingly the guy who made the video postulates that the reason Samoan Coral did not sell is that it was a 50’s color. People in the 60’s were trying to put the 50’s behind them. Colors were changing to earth tones and metallic. It was seen as a dated color. Personally I think that happened again with a different color – avocado green. Remember those early 70’s Mustangs and refrigerators and stoves that were avocado green. It took until the mid 90’s for there to be another green car on the market.
                          So there weren’t many Samoan Corals out there – which is a shame but makes it all the cooler to see one today. 
                          Below is a link to the car I spoke of before it got pulled from ebay. Just for interest. It has a data plate and stamp pictured.

This one recently sold at mecum for $47K

I joined the website and If I can figure how to up load I will send pictures of my ugly car and you guys can give me your honest opinion.
                          Brad

Comment

• Alteriago
                            • Jul 3 2016

I think I figured it out. Nope files too big. I will try tomorrow. Sorry.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Changing Colors

Brad, when you want to post pix look down below the box you are typing in. As a Paid Member, you should be seeing the Additional Options that unpaid members do not see. One of those options is Manage Attachments. That is what you click on to upload your pix. You must, though have your pix set to no more than 800x600pixels. Anything larger will run your text off the screen and we will have to slide back and forth to view your text. If you need software to downsize your pix go to the PC Help Desk Forum. You will find software there that you can use to downsize your pix. Or send them to me, Dave or jopizz and we can resize them for you and send them back to you. BTW, I, for one, happen to think that Samoan Coral is a very pretty color..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎