X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

NYsquarebird58' Tbird

I wanted to take a moment to say hello, and introduce my newly acquired 58’ T-Bird.

This whole story started about 20 years ago when my uncle restored a 59 coupe. It was white on red with matching interior. I was about 10 years old at the time and was completely infatuated with the car. I remember visiting my aunt and uncle and spending hours just sitting in that car daydreaming… I will never forget how the interior of that car smelled…

Years passed, the T-Bird sold and I grew into real car guy, I’ve owned and restored several old cars; 67 Galexie, 67 Firedbird, 70 Buick GS and 71 Skylark, but I always had it in the back of my mind that one day I would own a squarebird.

Like most things in life that we look for, they tend to find us when we’re not looking. This past Thursday night I was perusing craigslist when I happen to come across the ad for this T-Bird. The ad was all of one sentence long with really bad pictures, but something told me to give it a shot. (maybe it was the $1000 OBO price tag) I contacted the owner and that Saturday afternoon I took the hour long ride up and picked up the Bird!

As you can see from the pic she needs allot of work. The body is fairly solid, but the floor and trunk pans will need to be replaced. She also doesn’t run and has no brakes. I managed to walk away paying $675 for her and the previous owner was happy that she was going to a good home.

Here I stand as the proud new owner just moments after finalizing the deal

Here I am checking for rust. The driver’s side inside rocker will need to be repaired, but the passenger side is solid. (Really not too bad for a North East car)

The seats look to have been redone a very long time ago with incorrect upholstery. There is some trim pieces missing and the radio and console speaker are missing.

I know these birds sit low and sit even lower as the springs age, but I have a feeling the springs were cut on this one.

I was happy that the bumpers were in pretty good shape – less work for the chromer.

Looks to have its original 352 and COM transmission. The odometer says 45,000 but who knows if that’s true. I’m a little disappointed that it didn’t have its air cleaner but I’m sure that can be sourced. Would any of you know if this air cleaner was also used on other Fords?

By the time the flat bed arrived to my house it was night, but the moon was bright so I decided to pull my tripod out and take this shot.

So that’s it so far. I’m glad to be part of the community and look forward to making new friends and to embark on this project. Any fellow squarebird owners in or around Westchester County, New York?
    Last edited by NYsquarebird58; February 6, 2012, 05:45 PM.
    VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

I agree, pretty solid looking northern car.

1960 style interior door panels & leather seat covers. The ride heigth looks close to stock on an original worn spring Bird IMO.

Congrats to you sir...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

Congratulations on your purchase. You got a really good buy for the money you paid. The wheels look interesting, are they 14" or 15"? By the way if you want an original air cleaner I have one.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Nice score!!!

Looks to have an after-market windscreen washer bottle - and an 'A-oogaah' horn!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• keith
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2010

Looks good with that stance.

Good luck on your build.
          Keith
          Sedalia, Mo.
          sigpic
          CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Good luck with it. There aren't many '58's left here in the NE. The air cleaner was only used on 58-60 Thunderbirds, Edsels, and Lincolns. Maybe Mercury's too. It looks like a new dash pad which is a real plus. The door panel is from a '60 but looks to be in nice shape. It looks to have a VTCI sticker on it. Keep us posted on the progress.
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Restifier52
              Experienced
              • Jul 26 2011

Yay! Another one saved. Welcome to the community.

Rick
              1960 HT
              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Astrowing
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

Welcome and we like those 58's! The bumpers look pretty good and the sheetmetal looks pretty good other than some of that iron oxide. The rear sits low because of the worn bushings on the rear coil suspension, unique to '58's. Someone did a lot of work on it, probably 20 years ago or more.
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• frank58
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 28 2006

The body and chrome look terrific.............the valve covers are not '58.
                  As you get into it we can certainly ID it from the casting numbers and date code. You sure got a great deal, I mean a REALLY GREAT DEAL!!! you should be very happy and welcome to Squarebirds.

Comment

• tp tbird
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 17 2007

58 bird

Looks like you got a petty good one to start on,good price now a days for one in that shape.Good luck with the resto.

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Great buy for 675 bucks!!
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Hey Marcelo,
                        Congratulations and welcome!
                        Richard D. Hord

Comment

Welcome ...

and congrats on a nice score. The glass is worth what you paid. Mike

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

NYsquarebird58' Tbird

Hi Marcelo. Your can find your data plate on the inside column on the drivers side. When you open your drivers door, look at the pillar the door closes on. You should have a data plate riveted to that column. If it is not there, then you will not know what your data codes are. Unless you can find the ROT/Build sheet. Yes, it is often found in the springs of the rear seat, or back. It has also been found in the springs of the front seats, in the center console, under the carpeting, and up under the dash. It could be anywhere. If you have not looked through your glove compartment, look in there and you might get lucky, if someone in the past found it and put it there. You might also find the operating manual there. The ROT/Build sheet will give you the data codes. Thanks for putting in a bit of history regarding the car in your registrations form. Here is what Marcelo reported about his '58 Tbird. "Originally titled in Pennsylvania on 5/23/58, then NJ (unknown amount of time) and then finally ended up in NY where it currently resides." If you can find the codes I can tell you were you can go to decipher them.

If we can help you further, just ask. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here will be more than willing to help.
                            Last edited by YellowRose; February 8, 2012, 12:03 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 6 2012

Ray, thanks again. I'll try to locate those codes tomorrow and report back.
                              VTCI# 11860
                              58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎