This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Scumdog Has A Question!

Here is what Tom had to say!

"Hi Ray, As per your post on Squarebirds I counted the number of screws I need. I do need six, they are the black ones as per my earlier photo. This picture shows the location of one of the missing screws. All the others shines chromed(?) screws are in place. Again accept my appreciation of your efforts! Regards,
Tom."

Here is the pic that he sent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2433.JPG (74.5 KB, 54 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Tom, in view of what Martin said, please get me a complete count on the exact number you need so I can update Clint. Thanks!
I have these screws if Clint can't provide them . Note, some of these have a slightly larger head than others, mostly on the outer lens surrounds .
Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
"Hi Ray, Could you post these pics on Squarebirds please? And post the questions: What is that 'extra' thing that is piggy-backed onto the CVR and what would happen if it was removed? (My original CVR did not have it)
I fitted this one to my '66 ( a bear of a job!) and the gauges worked but I think they were reading a tad low -plus I could see the oil gauge needle constantly move left and right a little at a steady speed with a cold engine. I would appreciate it it greatly if once again you could post on my behalf! Regards,
Tom."

Here are the two pix Tom sent me.

An update to the CVR saga - I used that CVR and it worked for a short while them died.
So I adopted a Simplyconnected mentality and decided to diagnose the problem this evening after work.

It turned out the little tab that earths/grounds the wire running into the CVR was not doing its job.
Two minutes with a soldering iron to ensure a good contact had the CVR going like a champ with the test bulb! (I left the test light hooked up and it was still blinking merrily away twenty minutes later when I checked it.

The factory was relying on one of the tabs holding the case to the body of the CVR to make contact with the little tab, it can be seen in the top one of the two pictures at the start of the thread on the far away left side of the case.

So if you have a repro CVR that fails check that contact.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
An update to the CVR saga - I used that CVR and it worked for a short while them died.
So I adopted a Simplyconnected mentality and decided to diagnose the problem this evening after work...
Tom has had real problems with his '66, going through failed CVRs. A 'simplyconnected mentality' would be to find and correct the root cause. I sold him a solid state unit after his mechanical CVR failed. He said, it ran just fine for a while but once he started his 390, the solid state CVR failed as well, so I sent him two more solid state units with instructions to split the load; put one CVR on two gauges and the other on the last gauge to isolate a possible gauge or sending unit problem. Both solid state CVRs are identical inside and either should easily run all his gauges.

I suggested that he make sure his instrument panel is properly grounded, even if he must run an extra ground wire to the battery, but I heard nothing more about that.

Electrical noise comes from the coil (that is connected to the key switch via the headlight switch). A loose or intermittent dash ground or arcing plug/receptacle would send spikes that could damage any CVR that isn't properly grounded.

It's a wonderful thing to connect that little CVR's ground strap to make the mechanical unit work but solid state CVRs don't have that tab. Tom has two new solid state units that output steady six volts regardless of charging voltage or temperature. They are far superior to any mechanical CVR because they don't pulse. If his instrument panel and electrical system still has issues, Tom won't be done yet.

Use the multi-meter I sent you some time ago, Tom. Run the engine and check input voltage to the CVR. Let's hear what you find. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

I forgot to add in the excitement of discovering the reason the CVR that I checked my instrument panel was grounded last night, It definitely was so I can cross that one off.
I also checked and it appears the lead to the CVR is getting 12V from the battery when the key is turned on.
And my coil recieves 12volts direct from the battery via a relay that is activated by the original factory resistor wire that used to go to the coil.
That resistor wire is still powered through the ignition switch so I doubt I am getting any 'spike" from the coil that is affecting my CVR.

I cannot speak for the solid state CVR but the old school mechanical one conked out simply due to a physical issue - the faulty ground.

Now to figure out my aerial lead challenge - I did the factory recommended 'piece of string' trick only the fatter new lead won't pull through the factory plastic 'loop' that holds wires in place up behind the dash on the passengers side - right where it really tricky to access!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Scumdog Has A Question!

Tom sent me a follow up email and pic regarding his CVR unit. Here is what he had to say.

"Hi Ray, Yet another update!
After messing around with the mechanical CVR I saw sense and fitted a Simplyconnected solid state CVR, I mounted it on a short section of light gauge steel that I then attached to a bolt beside the steering column ( after check it would make a good ground)

I made two short leads to go from the factory wiring down to the CVR thus enabling me to more easily both attach the CVR and the wires.

As you can see the result is pretty good, the pic is of the gauges with the motor idling and the temp at the sender 181F (using a infrared thermometer)

I have a hunch the all read a 1/4" to far to the left i.e. read a tad low but I'm happy and will soon relearn their usual setting.
I let the motor sit for five minutes after turning it off and the temp gauge needle was right in the centre when the reading at the sender was 190F.

Very sad news about Las Vegas, we got married there in 2001 and love it's glitter etc. Regards, Tom."

Here is that pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.JPG (90.2 KB, 27 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm