X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Coolant

What type of coolant are you guys using in your cooling system?
    Overhere guys are telling me to not use additives, because it can cause leaks and/or can cause blocking the radiator. The manual is only mentioning to use a rust inhibitor (8A-19546-C), but canīt find any alternative for this number.
    Not using any additive would result in corrosion and lowering the boiling point of the coolant, so is no good alternative.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Use a GOOD, NAME BRAND coolant like Prestone or Zerex. These contain phosphoric acid for rust prevention and they also include water pump lubricants. Historically, we used the green-colored coolant but today's antifreeze is compatible with the orange as well. Always read the label.

If you change your antifreeze before the phosphoric acid is neutralized (by rust), your head gaskets will last without rusting holes through the coolant passages. This is a major overheating cause in classic car engines. Folks don't change their coolant soon enough because they only measure the 'cooling' part. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Ok, thanks for that. Those brands i believe we donīt have overhere, but i will see what the local brands are made of.
      sigpicFrank
      1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
      Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Since I started my T-bird "dry", I went with the Ford extended life "gold" coolant they used in the 2005-2012-ish diesel trucks & distilled water.

So far so good.

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎