X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom Sampson ~ RVPilt's '57 Babybird

Tom is a new member who hales from Oregon. He just sent me pix of his beautiful '57 Babybird "Amelia". She has recently won a 2011 VTCI "Best In Show" and the 2011 Concours D Elegance "Best In Class"! He says this about her.

"The under dash AC unit (not dataplate correct) was removed right after this photo - other than this she is 100% original except for disc brakes and radial tires. The picture of her on the bridge was taken in the Columbia River Gorge between Oregon and Washington - note the lisc plate "Fly 57"."

Tom is considering the possible purchase of that light green '58 Squarebird that we have been seeing offered for sale by that museum in St. Lous. Here is the website. http://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/stlc...te.asp?id=1401

There is one thing strange about that '58 Tbird that we have noticed. It has, for the beginnings of the VIN # H8YJ instead of H8YH. Also, it appears that the Data Plate has been replaced and this might be a reproduction. I know that a number of you have looked at this Tbird and commented on it. If you know anything about it that would be of assistance to Tom in making a decision regarding a possible purchase, or not, please feel free to post. I will post that Data Plate for you to view also. Here are the pix.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
    There is one thing strange about that '58 Tbird that we have noticed. It has, for the beginnings of the VIN # H8YJ instead of H8YH. Also, it appears that the Data Plate has been replaced and this might be a reproduction.
    I can't recall the conversation about the data plate, however H8YJ is the correct data codes on a 58 Convertible. 352:1958:Wixom:Tudor Convertible. Also Body code 76A is a tudor convertible and a date code of Aug 58 puts this car inside the convertible production window. The data plate looks original from it's patina and overall condition, reproductions generally look pristine as they are new, agreed the rivets are not original. As long as the data plate matches the VIN stamp on top of the right front frame rail along side the starter and the title, I wouldn't consider the data plate an issue.
    Last edited by GTE427; April 10, 2012, 06:18 AM.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Awesome!
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Jimz Bird
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2011

REALLY Nice!

Notice in the last pic the "Dial-O-Matic" power seat control. That is pretty rare.

"Dial-O-Matic 4-Way Power Seat (new for 1957)—allows most comfortable seat position to be "dialed in" to control seat position. Mounted under center of instrument panel. When ignition is turned off, seat automatically moved to rearmost position for maximum entry and exit room, then returns to pre-set position when key is turned on."
        It was $76.45 and the regular 4-way was $64.50.
        Jim
        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom Sampson ~ RVPilt's '57 Babybird

As a result of Ken's comment about J being an official Model or Body Style for a '58 Convertible, I did some more checking. I just looked at the Vintage Thunderbird Club International (VTCI) Official Factory Specifications (OFS) CD that I have. There under 7.7.2.2 is listed the 1958 Model types. H is the Tudor Hardtop and J is the Tudor Convertible. So that explains that J in the VIN #. I need to remember that for the future. The OFS also states that the actual production of the '58 Convertibles did not occur until May 5, 1958.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RVPilt
            • Apr 9 2012

'58 Cascade Green Convertible in St Louis

Hi Folks ...
            Thanks for the great comments. I'd be very interested to see what everyone thinks about this '58 ... priced at $44,500 if feels a little high, but it's a recent restoration so I'm sure the owner has a good bit more than $45k into it.

There are a LOAD of very clear digital photos on the website, and I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who cares to weigh in ... your comments on what you see, what seems to be right, and what feels "wrong" or needs to be further investigated.

Thanks Folks ...
            Regards, Tom
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎