This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road
Default 390 water pump on 352?

So I am back in the realm of being able to possibly spend a bit of time on the car again. I am still having water pump issues, so I was wonder what does it take to put a 390 water pump on a 352... anyone know if the pulleys will line up? what water pump pulley would be needed if not?
Old 12-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you use the later style short shaft water pump you can probably use the '61-'65 Thunderbird pulley. Most full size Fords used the same pulley also. The deep Squarebird pulley won't work. This is assuming that you don't have A/C.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by jopizz : 12-24-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
If you use the later style short shaft water pump you can probably use the '61-'65 Thunderbird pulley. Most full size Fords used the same pulley also. The deep Squarebird pulley won't work. This is assuming that you don't have A/C.

John
I do have AC.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Hopefully someone else has done it and can tell you the correct pulley to get. Two groove 390 pulleys are available but they are not cheap and I don't want to suggest you buy something that may not work.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM

tiltbed is on a distinguished road

not sure which year 352 you have but it seems the early ones used a long snout water pump later switched to the short. i just got through doing this but on a 390..bought a short aluminum pump. orignial crank pully i couldn`t use as it had 3 sheves outer being a really large one (for smog pump) ended up getting one from a torino 390 or so the guy said. went through every pump pully i had finally settled on one that matched the crank pully..then the fun began.. i had to order a bunch of 1/8 and 1/16 fan spacers and added shims to bring the pump pully sheves to alighn with the crank sheves (whew)..best thing to do if your`s don`t line up is junk yard and look for a FE motor that has a matched set. I have power steering,alt and air there for i needed a 3 sheve top and bottom.