X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swamprat
    • Sep 23 2013

63 Rolls when in park

Hey all,
    My Dad's 63 rolls when it is in park. When he first called me about the car not 'staying in' park, I did a search on the forum and found a lot of info about the detent plate. He had other symptoms that matched some of the issues discussed (he couldn't swing the wheel over to exit the car anymore, etc.). I ordered a new plate and shift lever. We replaced them and voila! The car goes right into park and the column swings away as designed. But, when we got out, the car started rolling! Ha! So, long story short, he'd had some transmission work done on it and was not sure exactly what had been done. Some research shows a solenoid actuated pin??? that is supposed to lock the tranny in place when it is in park?? He thinks maybe that was removed. Can I still find these? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The only solenoid used was one for manual transmissions with Overdrive. Other than that, the pawl for locking into park is right on the inside of where the shifter shaft enters the trans:

At the top LH side is the detent (click-click-click) and the right, connected with a short rod, shows the pawl.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Before you dig into the transmission make sure the manual linkage is adjusted correctly. There's a procedure in the shop manual for adjusting it.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Swamprat
        • Sep 23 2013

63 Rolls when in park

Guys,

Thank you for the tips - I will adjust the linkage according to the manual next time (last time I took a SWAG).
        One other question - is this pall accessible from outside the transmission? The people who worked on it last did not drop the tranny.

Thanks again.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Swamprat
          ...One other question - is this pall accessible from outside the transmission?..
          Here's a better view of the pawl and how it meshes with the teeth:

The last picture I posted, showed the detent (spring and ball that 'locks' your shift lever for each gear). This one shows more of the output assembly and the arms and pawl for the 'Park' position. There really is no adjustment. That also means it cannot come OUT of adjustment. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Swamprat
            • Sep 23 2013

63 Rolls when in park

Thanks for the new pic simplyconnected... I guess we will have to 'dig in' this time.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎