Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

interesting view; the hood is off so I can work on getting a radiator shroud built and installed. The little chrome half-shroud is nearly useless.
    Attached Files
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Restifier52
      Experienced
      • Jul 26 2011

Is that an original part I see? (rearview mirror)
      1960 HT
      Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

why yes.... but its from a '60, not a '58!

The new fan shroud works great, by the way. Now my 6-blade fan moves a TON of air through the radiator.

Comment

• Brushwolf
          Experienced
          • Jul 18 2015

460 in a Square Bird.... Hmm...

Love the color! Know what that paint code is actually? I have been contemplating a Squarebird motor swap and having trouble deciding what motor to use.

Recently got a solid AZ 59 with a later 68 S code 390 and C6 already swapped into it long ago (along with an uninvited family of rodents that wreaked havoc on the interior - but that's another story...).

This 59 still runs and sorta drives and stops (some engine noise and smoke, plus some trans leaks too). I was thinking about just rebuilding that 68 FE motor and trans over the winter and put it right back in.

On the plus side, the 390 looks similar to the long-gone 352, it is quite a bit lighter than a 430 MEL or 460 (especially with aluminum intake) and the stock A/C components (all still in place) are likely to be easier to get refurbished and working than fiddling with AC and a non-FE engine swap.

I do have a running 430 1960 Lincoln motor that would fit and bolt up to that C6 trans in the 59 too. That is tempting too in some respects, since I had one previously that was 430-powered. They really did go as fast as the speedometer says.

But, the MEL is so expensive to get parts for that it would probably be painfully steep $$$ to freshen it up - and I think it outweighs even the 460 by about 70 lbs while the 460's have even more power than the MEL's do..

So, given the massive torque a 460 has (plus the fact I have one already rebuilt sitting on an engine stand with ported D0Ve heads, etc...), your TBird thread has me tossing around the idea of just using that motor. Pretty sure I still might have a Lincoln 460 C6 in a storage trailer too, that I could have freshened up.

Do you have any pics of your fan shroud and what it is off? You running disk brakes with stock power steering and stock booster mechanism?

My car has both factory PS and PB, as well as AC and tinted glass - but oddly enough does not have power windows (which I actually consider a plus, one less complex set of parts to malfunction...). I can still crank a window up and down..

You are using a modified FPA header? What application/swap is it intended for? How about the intake manifold? Performer Plus?

Thanks, Mike

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Paint is an off-the-shelf House Of Kolors Deep Lilac Pearl.
            Fan shroud was a do-it-yourself kit from Summit. I still have the drum brakes without power assist. Don't really mind it; the car stops fine as far as I am concerned. Intake is a Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎