Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nobird
    • Oct 1 2011

Power vent window issue

Trying to solve the problem of not being able to install my power vent window motor/regulator correctly. Take a look at this video, then come back and tell me if you have a solution.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Basic problem is that coupler between motor and window shaft only has two positions it can be installed in. In one position, window only opens an inch. In the other position , the window is wide open and moves to about half open and stops. The video should help explain what I've been talking about for a couple of weeks, a problem that has brought my rehab to a grinding halt. This happens when I try to install either the drivers or passengers side vent window motor. They are not interchangeable. Thanks in advance for any help!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Have these motors been rebuilt. It seems like the gears are not oriented correctly.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• nobird
      • Oct 1 2011

John,

Just bought the car last month, with no functional power windows. Neither motor appeared to have ever been out, both were original, still with the rubber coating. One could not be fixed so I ordered another on Ebay and it has the same disorientation. That's the strange thing about it- BOTH sides are like this. One side would be easier to understand.

Looks like I will have to machine a new slot in the coupler, perpendicular to the original. That should solve the issue. If any similar looking coupler exists where the two slots are parallel to each other , then that's what should be in mine.

Comment

• nobird
        • Oct 1 2011

After looking at vent window frames/shafts on Ebay, it seems there were two different ones produced, one with the slot on the end of the shaft parallel to the window and one with it perpendicular. Mine is the latter, and that doesn't work with my motor/gear setup. Maybe the first one is for manual crank windows?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

To my knowledge the vent window frame/shaft is the same for manual and power windows. The Ford parts book also only has one listed. The way you mounted it the second time seems to be correct other than the window not opening wide enough. I'll dig out my '66 manual and see if I can come up with anything.

John

Comment

• nobird
            • Oct 1 2011

Power vent window issue

John,

When I cut a new slot in the coupler perpendicular to the existing slot and tried it, it worked fine (except the stop under the gear stops it before it can quite close fully). I assume the position of the shaft where it enters the vent window frame can't be changed? Thanks for looking into this.

Here are the two images found on Ebay with the two different shafts (both are advertised as '66 Tbird parts):
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; May 29, 2016, 10:13 PM. Reason: Pictures were not set to 800x600 pixels...

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Power vent window issue

Fred, I took the liberty of re-sizing your pictures. They were twice the size allowed on this Forum. Please, when posting pix in the future, keep them to no bigger than 800x600pixels. Thank you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't think you can change the position of the shaft. I believe they are welded in place. Since it appears that you have all the correct parts there must be a simple explanation why it doesn't work correctly. My suggestion is to call Bob's Bird House. I've called them numerous times in the past to ask technical questions. They will know if there's different parts for power and manual vent windows.

John

Comment

• nobird
                  • Oct 1 2011

Bob's wan't aware of this issue . Hopefully I'm the only one who runs into it, as re machining the couplers to make them work can take quite a bit of time and ruin (in my experience) one original Dremel tool and two Harbor Freight replicas. But now it's done. Now dealing with a quarter window that won't go up well, despite running smoothly in the tracks and having plenty of spring counterbalance power.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎